Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jack Basics

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good informative post Dids. Gave me plenty to think about now the next time I'm out looking for one.

Did you just boil the crap out of the MJ's head to get those jaws nice & clean?

I've got a big spanish mack head sitting in the freezer atm and would like to keep the jaws out of it, if I can work out what to do with it. I have already been told that I'm not to cook it up inside the house!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy98 View Post
    Did you just boil the crap out of the MJ's head to get those jaws nice & clean?

I've got a big spanish mack head sitting in the freezer atm and would like to keep the jaws out of it, if I can work out what to do with it. I have already been told that I'm not to cook it up inside the house!

Cheers,
    Roo.
    Yes Roo, Just boil the #### out of it, then a scrub with a tooth brush. You may loose a tooth or 2 but just glue them back in. The order to do it outside is a good one too.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

All done.

Not as impressive as a jack but still a pretty mean set of choppers!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

An awesome article Dids for anglers less knowledgable on the concept of chasing Jacks. Well done mate!

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Good Work noted.

Now enough back slapping and back to fishing tips!
    To the shed!

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Good Work noted.

Now enough back slapping and back to fishing tips!
    Righto Daz!

I've found that whilst chasing them in yaks, especially in real tight country, broadsiding your kayak to the snag your casting at, can be very advantageous to winning the early stages of the fight once the fish knows it's been hooked. More pressure is applied to the fish using this kayak positioning method as it tries to snare your line in it's underlying lair where it came from prior to smacking your lure. I have also experienced that whilst chasing them in this same tight country, top water lures such as poppers will increase your capture rate, rather than using deeper diving lures for the same reason mentioned above. Using diving lures in this situation gives the fish the upper hand. Whilst fishing for Jacks within this snaggy tight country, the fight is usually brutally hard and fast and if you haven't got the fish to the surface within 5 seconds........the battle is usually lost.

Cheers Dave

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the report. I hope to use this info this weekend.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

well i can say that i read this post last week just before driving to noosa for an overnighter up river chasing jacks and to say that i used a few of the hints is an understatment.
    I got 2 jacks one on a floating live herring at12.30 in the morning on the slack tide and then a 55cm at lunch the next day on a thready buster at 11 am after i found a bait school been harassed by a few arches on the sounder around a snag in 8mts of water .
    i got dusted plenty of times during the night.
    cheers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345