Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Basics

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lure Colours

Whata U guys think about colour, I started with Flathead when pink was the only thing being talked about, but I reckon just about anything U run past a FH's nose he'll take. There may be some colours certain fish won't hit, but in general it doesn't make any difference??????

Red's said to be a turn on, due to the blood factor (Simulating a injured fish, easy target???????????)

Different coloured lures catch fisherman, not fish????????????

I use the Tilson Barra "Jaffa" because it fits with a lot of the theories, therefore I used it a fair bit, therefore It catches most fish, therefore I use it a lot, therefore............ ????????????

Gold Bommer, is ledgendary, why?, because it was an early lure that worked so every one has a few and it gets used heeps. If I manufactured a blue and white spotted lure and made all the gun fishermen use it for two years, I'd have a ledgendary lure on my hands??????????????????

Send 5 gun fishos out with 5 different coloured lures for 2 hours come in and swap lures, 2 more hours , swap, 2 hours, swap Etc. Etc. Etc, do you get a definitive result?????????

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Didley.

Good job with the write up mate. I like!

Lures catch more anglers then fish, absolutely! Lure colour is the main culprit. I say use what your confident in, and you obviously do in your 'Jaffa' scheme which you've sussed out.

I've had most of my results on the standard Bombers in a weird green/yellow colour, which I have added black stripes down the sides with a permanent marker. Also the smaller deep diving Bombers in the same colour. Seems to work for me so I like that combination of Bomber and that colour, but its not the be all and end all of Lures for Jacks. So much out there. I am more then sure if it was painted Elton John, or Qantas it would catch fish.

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I know from experienced in the past that the temperature plays a big part...When its hot & humid they are at there attacking best & smash anything that goes near them but when its cooler, like barra's they are very sluggish!!....

We got into some fantastic site fishing for Jacks up in the Northern Territory last year. We went up there in May/June & we experienced lower then average temperatures. We found this particular creek that was just teaming with Jacks & because it was so cold, you could see them sunning themselves on the surface!! When we threw a lure at them the first time, the didnt even move, so we would have to make them pretty cranky before they would take a lure! As you can see from the photo below, we had a few of them actually leave there snag & with a very slow flicking retrieval we manged to entice them right to the side of the boat

Although I know that Jacks a very very territorial (I use to have one in a fish tank that smashed everything you put in with it)....The snags in this particular creek would hold up to 5,6,7 or even more Jacks, which was quite weird!! As I had never seen anything like that before!! They were all pretty good sized also!

Once I get around to reviewing/editing all my footage form the trip, I'll show you some of the awesome Jack fishing that we experienced
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good effort dids, very comprehensive and worthy of an Egrell rod prize.

I dont place much emphasis on color.

For HBs I only use Black and Gold,
    for Prawnstars I prefer red,
    and for SPs I like Snapbacks in pure white (they have a silverish reflective coating) much like a hardyhead.

So if jacks take all these colors, Im stuffed if I know what diff color makes. Id say match the hatch in the local area.

Ive heard an arguement that fish get educated to the in thing in color. A few years ago Pumpkinseed was THE color in gulps, but fish stopped biting on em, then nuke cook was the go, now its not so hot anymore.....etc. Maybe fish see em too often and they tell their mates what were using, lol.

Andrew

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=gecko;31535Maybe fish see em too often and they tell their mates what were using, lol.

Andrew[/quote]

Hope we don't have any mangrove jack members reading this thread or when word gets around, I might as well throw my jaffas away then.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Talina, very territorial yes, but also school up regularly, I've often fished 4 hours with out a hit and then lots of action 4 half an hour then nothing again. It's gota be a school moving in and out, generally all the same sized fish too.I got 3 all 49cm within half an hour of each other just a couple of weeks back. They say the dominant large jack will always have the best (most preductive) position on a snag.
    But if U have a small jack wonder past the snag of a big fella and look out. It's a dangerious world down there.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

jj here thanks didley great post i'll be sure to keep you up to date on my progress

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

I know of one snag around here that always has a heap of jack sitting under it.
    Territorial, but only under the right conditions?

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

This has been a really helpful report mate! will definately come in handy for me

Cheers Josh
    Pretty keen for a fish!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I know of one snag around here that always has a heap of jack sitting under it.
    Territorial, but only under the right conditions?
    Have a few good spots too, if you feel like swapping a bit of info!
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast