Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Jacks

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jacks

Headed out with matto and chased up some liveys before making the trek up the coast to where we were going to try crack some of these monster jacks. I havent caught a SEQ jack before and have only really tried one other night last week for nil result. Anyhow we arrived for the run out tide / slack water and waited for some action. Well the first few fish were the silver variety myself scoring a 35cm bream and matto something similar. About 30 - 40 minutes passed and i decided to cast my certate up near some structure with a butterflied poddy mullet. Five minutes later something gave one tap and then tried to run but the drag was nearly at max strength but this fish still pulled line as matto watched me trying to peg some more hurt onto this fish. After a quick but strenuous battle I brought a 59cm jack to the net. I didnt believe a fish could fish so hard more like explosive dynamite on your rod. Couple of photos and fish was released to fight another day. Next cast same spot and this time a butterflied gar. Tap then run but as again Iam straight onto it (as you Ive worked out with jacks now) and I drag a 55 / 56 cm specimen to the rocks. Again a couple of photos and another successful release. We also caught a 50 - 55cm cod but ran out of poddy's when the bite started to fire up. Two words.
    Very addictive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

well done , they are some fine fish

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful fish Sean, Kevie would be proud of that. He looks a bit knocked around, did U have to pull him out of the rocks?

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

didley, think he tried to bash my line off in some rocks and took some scales off himself
    but i think he did bash the oysters before leaving the water.
    Last edited by vertico; 06-02-2009 at 06:00 PM.