Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: monster Barra

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default monster Barra

hi all i have been fishing in townsville a bit lately with some really great results namely appleins weir which is the bottom weir out of 3 weirs were the salt water meets the fresh water,after all the rain the weirs have been flowing and the barra are on the move!!! i have been up there 3 times last week sitting on the rock with live baits out.i have got many barra in the 3 day from 40cm to 95cm but on friday it was something different i had put a live HERRING out that was about 20cm long and was joking and said that if something hits that it will be a monster hehehehehe. after about half hour i was kicking back and all of a sudden this huge barra launched out of the water and i was on and it was a monster,it was peeling line off my reel like you wouldn't believe and i was running out of line fast and had stopped him with about 10 metres of line left on my reel, after about 15 minutes i had got him up to the bank and it was a horse 1metre and 27 cm my biggest to date yippeeeee, i have to get the pics off another guy cause i had not taken camera down so pics will be soon

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, looking forward to pics

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Pauly,

That is some serious fish mate - a big salty?

Benno.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Going Paul. So its true what they say about Townsville being 'God's Country?'
    Just curious...did you have the live bait under a float on the surface or left to wonder at some depth?
    That would have been an awesome sight seeing a monster barra launching out of the water like that. Another great fishing moment etched in your mind for sure.

Well Done!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the big fish coming up have been washovers, believe it or not. Good to see the big wet has let some of the big girls out. Hope they get past all the dangers and make it to breed at least once. Maybe a late spawn, but maybe next year.

Well done Paul, that is a monster fish by any measure. Can't wait to see the pics.
    You should try some of your spinnerbaits along the rock wall too!
    Ultralight RULES!!

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Paul. What pound braid did you use?
    Mate will be up that way soon will have to catch up and have a fish with you.

tailorboi99

Awesome job on the big girl. Cannot wait to see this jaw dropping picture

Tom

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveAngler View Post
    Pauly,

That is some serious fish mate - a big salty?

Benno.
    hi guys it was on the salt water side of the weir but she had come over the wall from the fresh side of the weir,the set up i was using was 20 pound braid with a sinker above a swivell with a 60 pound leader that would have been about half a metre long that being to keep the live bait down deeper and the long leader is to let the live bait have a bit of room to swim and kick around a bit

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Pic's???

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul, it was good to meet up the other day and have a yarn while kicking back and fishing. Guys, he showed me the pics on his phone and this thing is HYOOOOJ!!!

Oh yeah, and I'll get some of those hooks to ya and discuss that jighead design.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast