Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow Start...Cracker Finish

Gday guys,
    Arrived to Vines creek this arvo to water the same colour as milo. Very slow start with Joel and I releasing a box of nitro jigheads and a bag of gulp into the system within the first 2 hours. Joel had caught his PB stick and I'de only caught a few small cod before we decided to grab a feed at the near-by corner store. With our bellies full and our rigs retied, we set off re-enthused and ready to get into the low tide bream bite. We started wading around our usual spot for only 2 small flathead and a just legal bream when we discovered that the usual rock/gravel bottom had been washed away and was now under a few feet of sand. What a bugger - our prime bream spot has just been stuffed up and now what do we do? We ended up down at a realy deep whole thats known for its better class of bream. My second cast with a 3 inch minnow resulted in a subtle tap on the drop so i quickly struck and was loosing line fast! Woooo horse bream I yelled as Joel came running but when this thing thing just kept running and head shaking, my thoughts changed to a nice little trevally. All that went out the window when 5 minutes later i beached a massive scat. It went 48cm and was like a bloody serving tray! Just before we left I lost 2 tarpon in 2 casts due to their acrobatics.

Anyways,
    Cheers aye,
    Isaac
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Try Hard; 15-03-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

thats a not bad session well done for landing that scat on bream gear

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff Isaac!!! What a fantastic little session!! To be honest i dont think I have ever seen a scat before, it looks like something that you would catch out on the reef!

I bet you that your glad to see some good weather for once, as it seem like a beautiful day in the photos!!!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have not seen a scat before, a different looking fish hey? Nice to see a new species falling to the all powerful bream fisho's, go the ultralight!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw a few of those in the zoo with the croc. Interesting fish. Great job mate.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Gday Isaac,

Great session mate and a good variety of species for a shore bash.

That SCAT what a weird looking fish - but I reckon with that big paddle body - she was put on a bit of resistance on light gear / tackle.

Nice work mate and once again - great report.

Cheers - Benno.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

nice report, glad to see the rain go.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

watch those scat... I used to catch them all the time in my local estuary.. got a few that spined me in the hand.. you know about it trust me...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

its funny you say that ozchris, they have the same toxin as the happy moments in there spines so they dont tickle, hehe they got me too a few times picking them out of the cast net or getting them off my hooks. they pull like freight trains as well, i could not emagin how hard one that size would have gorn.
    im obsessed

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys.

I got spined in the hoof back in my baito days by one...NEVER AGAIN! Spine went straight through my mudboot and into the big toe...it throbed in pain for the next half hour or so but I still managed to land a few small barra that day!
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast