Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Love Breaming Bycatch!

Gday folks,
    Just a quick update about the fishing in Mcreadies Creek. Had a flick for a few hours down at my favourite rockbar this arvo on me own. I was targeting bream but didn't manage a single one however the bycatch I encounted wasn't half bad!

The final tally was 3 small Grunter, 2 Flathead, a juvenile Fingermark and a Flounder of all things!

All fish caught on 2in Gulp Shrimps in the Molting colour.

Cheers Isaac
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again, good stuff Isaac!! With all that rubble & rock on the bank in the background, no wonder the grunter & fingermark were hanging around...I reckon you'd do even better on the top of the tide with all that structure bottom
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice again iisac,now will you get back to school
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

Talina - I'de love to fish it at high tide mate but its impossible to do. With 6m tides the water goes right up level with peoples back lawns so theres nowhere to stand. Besides at low tide, that hole I was fishing has the deepest water in the whole creek so naturally all the larger fish will hold there. Should make things interesting when I eventually hook a 60cm+ grunter on bream gear...the little ones go hard enough!

Chewy - I still have one day left mate! This equals a whole other days fishing for me! Im slack to go bck to school but mate...takes up too much fishing time!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Hard, what sort of action are you putting on your soft placcies?

Cheers Nath.

P.s Hahaha - We still have another weeks holidays over here in the west.
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done some nice looking fish

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Nath - I mainly use the shrimps with quite an aggressive double or triple twitch followed by a long pause of 3 or 4 seconds after the lure has hit the bottom. This seems to bring fish in from some distance. Then once I detect a line bite, I increase the number of twitches and decrease the agression - this is really just to sucker the fish into the eating the lure. An pretty much when ya get a decent hit, just open the bail arm and freespool for a bit to let the fish get the lure down then strike and the game is on!

Chris - Yer those small Grunter certainly look good. They've some awsome markings in their juvenile stages of growth.

Cheers Isaac

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff there again Isaac. I also love "bycatch" on bream gear..... more on this at a later date.

Those grunter really rip it up, don't they? Surprising power, I can only imagine the steam train runs a big one would pull off. One of these days w'll suss out the ones on the mudbanks and flats. I've only ever got one on lure, and that had me thinking GT the way it ripped off.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate. I've heard quite a bit about your "bycatch" ol mate...from what I've heard 'you da man'!

The Grunter certainly have the 'never say die' attitude of a GT mate - a solid run after hookup, head-shaking through out the fight and then they procede to try and bust you off on any of the rocks around your feet! I love them and they love Gulp Shrimps!

Arthur Lovern from Seaforth Fishing Charters specifically targets grunter on soft plastics around his waters...and to consistently produce results whilst on charter is pretty bloody amazing. From memory I think his gun lures for them were 3in Powerbait Shrimps and the trusty 3in Pumpkinseed Bass Minnow.The bycatch you'd get fishing those smaller baits around a creek like Victor is pretty awsome too -barra, jacks, bream, goldens, GTs, fingermark, flathead, queenies, salmon...the list is endless!

Anyways mate, its early in the morning and my alarm clock went off wayyyyy too early so its back to bed for another hour or so.

Cheers Isaac

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

there are some nice catches again mate, i too like the bicatches when the bream arn't on the bite, can't wait to see your next post.