Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing for a feed

After hearing that the weather was going to be pleasant for a few days here in Melbourne, l decided to check the Port Phillip Bay forecast, and was pleased to find that it was going to be below 5 knots today...so an overdue fishing trip was in order, and was a good way to get me out of my dreary mood.

I was out on the water early, and decided to hit one of my more successful squid spots just out from the RAAF Williams Point Cook Jetty.
    The water was a cool 17 degrees, but the clearest that l have seen it in awhile too, and the first thing l noticed was the large amounts of jelly fish that were present.

l could not help myself from submerging my underwater camera for some close up shots as l drifted past. I didn't have to wait long to get one right up near the boat , as there were so many of them.

It was such a still and calm day that for the first time l noted how quickly jelly fish could propel themselves forward, and they were very interesting to watch.

I positioned the boat to get the most effective drift over the rocky and weeded bottom, hopefully giving myself the best chance of securing a feed of Squid, with the use of my Yozuri Squid jigs.

It wasn't long before l could feel the jig being pulled, and a cloud of black ink was the tail tell sign that l was connected to dinner.

The squid l caught today were nowhere near as big as what l have caught in the past, but it didn't take long to catch enough for tonight's dinner.
    With the snapper season still along way away, l decided not to gather any for bait on this trip.

As l write this report, sipping on a glass of wine, l can smell the squid being cooked, and will enjoy my dinner of fresh squid tonight.

YUMMY!! Salt and Pepper Squid and Chips.

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

it doesn't get any better than that. sounds like a great day. thnx for that joe.
    cheers clint

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

mmmmmm love ya work Joe
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

MMMMMM my mouth is watering just looking at that feed mate...she looks a dream!

Some top quality squid there mate...what action do you give the jigs?

Cheers Isaac
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I LOVE SQUID!
    My mouth is watering.
    Nice feed you got there Joe, top stuff mate.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Joe,
    As others have said my mouth is watering just looking at that photo of the squid & chips. Unfortunately there won't be any squid at our camp at the sooty comp. I'am sure you enjoyed the day out on the water and i hope it helped get your mind off other things,i bet you enjoyed the meal? Not long to go now i make only six(6) sleeps till i meet you at the airport, see you there.

Cheers Jeff.
    PS. I sure we can manage a glass of wine though.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments guys.

Isaac, we vary the action from bouncing them just above the weed to a slow retrieve at mid water. With the water being so clear we could see them hone in and stop at the jig, but it is important to maintain the retrieve or they would just loose interest.
    An important factor was colour. They really liked the Pink jigs yesterday.

Thanks Jeff, yes fishing is great therapy. Only 6 more sleeps??? Really??? Who's counting.

...and yes the salt & pepper Squid was noice!!! Rita is a great cook, and l do miss her when l'm away fishing.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there joe , nice to see you getting out and about , good luck at the sooty comp regards......... shorty

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Joe - You know all those times that you tell me that I make you jealous!! Well you've just got me back pretty good!!

I llllooove Calamari & to catch squid as easy as you did above is awesome!!! The size & quality of those things is amazing!!!

I've got to stop looking at it!! its making me hungry!!

Thanks for sharing it with us & its great to hear that you managed to get out on the water on a week day while we were all working! Its called priorites hey!!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

...i can smell the calamari strips being lightly fried!!!

damn! you got my tummy grumbling before 9am!

AK