Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A few flattys friday

Just to change the subject, i headed out from big tuan ck in the great sandy straights on friday morning,looking for a few whiting.Having just about missed the tide,i went wot over to fraser to dig some yabbies,i dug about 50 under the watchful eye of two FI dingoes,one taking up position ten metres from the boat. It would have been a good photo opportunity but i needed bait.After digging the yabbies and negotiating my way back to the boat i shot over to two islands i had got whiting before. the water still has a fair amount of fresh in it and as the tide topped and started to run out it turned a brown teatree colour. No whiting but heapsof longtoms. even got one on a brown/gold fakie dog..A change of tact was required so i thought there may be a flatty round,so i tied on the ever faithful bananafish bomber.I saw a few flattys taking off while under electric power but no hits so i guess the water was a bit deep for the bomber so i tied on a modified 5" white/pink terminator snapback on a 1/4 5/0 tt jighead. This is a proven fraser flathead destroyer. Fished with a stop.flick flick sink retrieve the take will nearly always come on the drop. The Egrell s1/penn1000 3kg fireline was the stick of choice once again performing admirably.I was fishing a shell island,with a couple nice dropoffs on the upstream side.The best tactic on the day was to cast up current and just hop the plastic back to the boat. I think its really important to get the plastic up about a metre off the bottom on the retrieve so it gets up into the flatheads field of view. With the hardbodys i use its easy i just let it float up a bit,but with the plastics you need that vertical flick in my opinion.Ended up with 3 flattys and two whiting which we will have for sunday lunch with chips and salad..
    you can see the dropoff in the last couple pics. With boonooroo in the background.
    chewy..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

They're some lovely flatties mate, good work.

tailorboi99

Good shots, is that a Killer Tomato colour in that lizards mouth? If so do you find the lighter colours work better than the natural colours in that dirty/mid clear water?

Thanks, Tom

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom,
    its what terminator calls albino shad(so andy tells me) In all honesty i dont think it makes that much difference. I think its more a confidence thing,use what you are confidant in,and use it well.This one has a split tail,which i have started doing to my 5 inch jerkshads.I use a heated stanley knife blade to split the last inch or so. That morning a couple years ago when andy n i got 29 flattys we used all colours,green,white,pink electric chicken and they ate them all. maybe in the dirty water the pink was better,but i really dont know.

tailorboi99

Oh thanks for that Chewy, just about a year ago everyone was raving for pinks for Flathead but I love to stick to "Natural" colours - Don't know why, just seem more attractive if you ask me . Once again nice fish,

Tom

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice feed you got there Chewy.
    Hope you enjoy your fish and chips today.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Iam the opossite i flick my plastics along the bottom to stir up as much sand as possible as you will know lizards are cannibilistic and so they love to eat there own so any sand movement will get there attention this is also why i like to stick to natural colours with plastics but in that dirty water i do like to use pinks my fav being killer tomato squidgy fish due to bad weather i will have to chase some big girls this weekend my self did you get anything from off the ledge there at fig tree mate or did you just chase lizards i here the ledge is fishing very well at the moment
    Catch them photoghraph them throw them back

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Visibility on the ledge is 6 inches or less,or it was last friday.Threw some plastics down the hole ib the wall,ans was surrounded by green toads in 5 minutes,cost me 3 130 mm slickrigs.