Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Slayin' Stiffy Minnows

Gday guys,
    Went back down to Vines today for the midday low tide and hopefully a few flatties. We came prepared with all of us rigged with Stiffy Minnows to try and repeat yesterdays success.

Things started nicely with Joel and I nailing a few small flatties within 10 casts.

Poor Bryce still hadn't had a hit on his Stiffy Minnow so he changed to another home brand lure. He ended up tying on a Stiffy Fat One which soon bagged him a few small bream.

We came up to the snag that I pulled all the barra from yesterday and landed a few casts in tight to the mangroves. Turns out the bream had pushed the barra out of their home as I proced to land a few nice fish. I was amazed that I had actually caught a bream on a 60mm hardbody!

Don't ya had it when your lure get stuck in ya shirt...with the fish still attatched! This was my best bream for the day - 30cm on a Prowler coloured Stiffy Minnow.

What Joel did next was pretty cool. He managed a hat trick with 3 different species in consecutive casts!

First came a flatty jagged up the date.

Next came a good whiting.

And what came next still ceases to amaze me - a bloody Garfish! May I remind you that the lure is 60mm in length and the fish was hooked in the lip!

We soon ran out of water to effectively fish so we moved up to another hole. Out came the shrimps but for the first time in a while, there was no result. After 10 minutes of no fish we decided to go baito for a bit. We collected a few soldier crabs and sure enough, every bait that hit the water nailed a fish. Between the three of us I think we got about 15 bream in the space of 15 minutes which ain't half bad for 'baito'ing'.

I even ended the day with a dirty stinkin' catfish which put up a good account for itself. lol

So the moral of the story is, don't be afraid to go native and use the local food source on a jighead!

Cheers Isaac
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Great effort boys, I thought your baito' days were over, hahahaha.
    Cheers Dylan.
    PB Barra:114cm on horny toad.
    PB Sooty:49cm on horny toad.
    PB Bream:35cm on SX40.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quality whiting and Bream.

Pete

tailorboi99

Great fish, awesome job. I am gunna get a few Fat Ones,

Tom

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

well done guys some great fish there
    Catch them photoghraph them throw them back

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

Dylan - Only pro lureo's can be baito's mate. When ya think about it, it's very true. You always use lighter mainlines, lighter leaders and generaly more finesse tackle and you'll often find when you transfer these skills over to bait fishing, you'll be a more successful baito!

Pete - That last bream of Bryce's went 35cm TL. Thought she was a catfish until we saw the silver flashes of a mirror-flanked bream!

Tom - Im a beleiver in the Fat Ones now mate. As I told you before, I always thought they were too big for yellowfin bream but I certainly have egg on my face now! They catch mate!

Nath - Thanks mate, when are we going to be seeing reports of big trout lipper on platics?!?! I love that style of fishing - light line, deep water, soft plastics and a piscatorial lucky dip on the bottom!

Cheers Isaac
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work champ......thumbs up all round!

Cheers - Benno
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

man i wish i had a stiffy, i only have a fat one hehehe
    im obsessed

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

By the looks of those fish fellas - Mackay/ You guys are going to have one hell of a winter season!!

Fingers crossed Townsville does too as I'm looking forward to a good whiting session off the beach when the wind is blowing!!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

tailorboi99

Yeah, heaps of Snapper around Brisbane at the moment. Should get onto a few on Bream gear, awesome fun

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast