Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Guys,do you mind me asking if tides play a factor in your fishing over there..ie.do you fish the run in tide when the fish are coming onto the flats..or the run out when they get in the turbulent water...
    cheers chewy..
    In the past I have planned trips to Walpole when there is a high tide either or both at sunset and sunrise. It's a flats fishing fishery there so you want there to be as much water on the flats as possible. The bream move on to the flats with the rising tide. These key ingrediants have brought me the best fishing sessions.

This trip the tides were poooo, making us work harder for the fish.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Especially with the Walpole inlet, I agree with Pete, but in saying that the tide is not exactly a huge difference in water level. High tide would only be like 20cm difference at the maximum. So time of day probably has a large impact as well - we were finding many more fish before sunrise and after sunset. Tides definatly do make a difference though, but I tend to think it's only part of the puzzle - we were lucky on my 1st trip down that we had good tides, very dark water, chop and we fished both early morning and late arvo. The bigger the tidal movement, the more it matters. That may be only my opinion though

On that note that was only my 3rd trip down to the 'Pole, and Pete is still the Master!
    Ben Hough
    Hobie Quest
    PB Snapper - 80cm, Bream - 42.5cm, Queenfish - 102cm, Longtail Tuna - 91cm (9.1kg)

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler and Tairyo rods!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da_houghsta View Post
    Especially with the Walpole inlet, I agree with Pete, but in saying that the tide is not exactly a huge difference in water level. High tide would only be like 20cm difference at the maximum. So time of day probably has a large impact as well - we were finding many more fish before sunrise and after sunset. Tides definatly do make a difference though, but I tend to think it's only part of the puzzle - we were lucky on my 1st trip down that we had good tides, very dark water, chop and we fished both early morning and late arvo. The bigger the tidal movement, the more it matters. That may be only my opinion though

On that note that was only my 3rd trip down to the 'Pole, and Pete is still the Master!
    Clear water, poo tides (20cm difference and being high during middle of day) resulted on the bream only realy coming onto the skinny flats when it got dark and they felt safe. During the day they hungout in the deeper water and channels where Ben picked them off with stickbaits, blades and I got them on the dropoffs with Khamsins.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a very productive kickass session there boys!

Will have to log on at home to view your pictures, they sound RAD.

I know what you mean about taking the DSLR wading Pete, it kind of peaks you out hey! I find it best to hang the camera around my neck from the strap as opposed to dragging it out of my backpack every time I want take a pic. I've been meaning to pick up a Camera Armor for a long time, it's a protecive case that keeps nasty little drops or splashes away from sensitive areas. They make them for nearly all models of SLR's. A good investment I reckon.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, awesome awesome!!!!

That is great pics and report boys!!! You have some fantastic flats counrty over there to fish. Ther is nothing better than to be waving a rod around with lures in tow as the sun comes up!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beevor View Post
    Sounds like a very productive kickass session there boys!

Will have to log on at home to view your pictures, they sound RAD.

I know what you mean about taking the DSLR wading Pete, it kind of peaks you out hey! I find it best to hang the camera around my neck from the strap as opposed to dragging it out of my backpack every time I want take a pic. I've been meaning to pick up a Camera Armor for a long time, it's a protecive case that keeps nasty little drops or splashes away from sensitive areas. They make them for nearly all models of SLR's. A good investment I reckon.

Cheers Beev's,

I've had a look at the camera armor.......I think I need it but it ugly...lol
    I have a lowepro sling bag that keeps the camera quite high and swings around to the front for easy camera removal. The camera is safe in up too thigh high water but any deeper and i would stress....

Just bought a circular polarizing filter.......eek!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

.......I think I need it but it ugly...lol
    You could get the camo one..!!

Mmmm filters, need....more....filters. This could get expensive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123