Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chilly morning at the burrrum

Hi all AA's
    Dad and i woke up at about 5:30 this morning and it was freezing. We got onto the high way and the car temperature reading for outside was 8 degrees. We got on the water and a thick layer of fog covered the surface. rigged up the rods and started flicking. We were hoping to cross paths with a few tevally or queenies. Our normal spot didn't come through for us, dad hooked something but lost it as normal. We were idleing along when dad was just having a few flicks and "BANG" he ws onto a tevally. He must not have looked a the hook and it snaped it about half way down the shank. he got another one which was about 10cm long. I got a little cod about 200m down from there and lost something else. Moved back along just up from where dad had got his other one and i hooked up. It was a nice little trevally. Dad had the fly rod out but no sucsess. We decided it was time for a move. So we went down to where we nomally get a few tarpon bu no sucsess there either. Another move was in order we hooked up to something at a set of rocks but lost it. Today dad was using a egall 1-3kg with a penn appluse reel and i was using a gladiator 2-4kg rod and a daiwa fuego reel and we were using manns $1 2 inch clear with a pink tail soft plastics.
    regards Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

good on ya andy. Got your own login now I see? that river looks familiar....
    It was just as cold on Sat morning when I hit Gatakers. I had similar results with undersize squire hitting Gulp jerkshads, and grinners hitting trolled HBs. I had one big hit on bait, and lost it to 20lb leader breaking. I must have caught dads didease, lol.

Andrew

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks heaps for that Chewy Junior!!...Good to see the cold doesnt spoil your motivation or the fishing! Those little Gt's are good fun on light tackle, arent they!

Don't you just love winter mornings.....Well once the sun comes up anyway!!

Keep up the good work Andy
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not too sure what the "as usual"comment was about.Seeing as he has copped a hammering in the fishing this year. That will be our last early start for a while id say..No good can come from having to wear ugg boots fishing..Though the 10 squid i got friday nite were prettyy yummy last night,though they should seriously look at putting a bag limit on them i think..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Victoria we have no size limit on squid & cuttlefish, but a bag limit of 20 in total.Personally l think that is too many.

Especially when they are large ones.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

They are HUGE Joe, lots of yummo rings from that lot and good bait eh?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez, is there any missing kids around your area Joe....As I got a feeling that they may have gone for a swim & then met MR SQUID!! There huge!!!

You should freeze some & bring them to Townsville....I'd love to drop a whole one of those over the side out on Farraday/Mymidon!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

& Chewy your that rugged up...You look like one of those fisherman off the Deadliest Catch when they are wearing there Survival suits

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Just trying out for the new michelin man ads
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done guys i was on the water at sun up saturday too and i was frozen solid casting light poppers to all the bream was bloody hard with frozen fingers There seems to be massive amounts of trevs in the bay at the moment we enjoyed triple hook ups with tea leafs and goldens on saturday and the bream well lets just say we got a couple
    Catch them photoghraph them throw them back