Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weipa/Cullen Pt May 09

Finally got to see weipa in may this year. My buddy daryl and I towed my tinny with his hilux from brissie over a few days with no troubles and plenty of beers along the way. We fished weipa for the first week with varied results and tried to fish as many systems as we could. We fished the andoom on the first day for a stack of undersize barras, nice fingers to 50cm, pikeys, cod and a nice little queenie. Prawnstars fished deep in the snags worked well on barra and fingers and gold bombers, B52's and x raps did the damage in the shallow colour changes on barra and the queenie. Saw 4 crocs that day with the biggest about 3 metres.
    Went north a bit for the 2nd day to clough landing which runs into the mighty wenlock. It is a massive system and was running hard and brown from the big tides when we fished it. We put 4 pots in and cast our butts off for a coupla rat barra. We did manage 8 good bucks in 2 pots and a shark in each of the other pots. We ate well that night!
    We hit the mission river on day 3 and caught a heap more little barra and not a lot else. Got smoked under the mission river bridge by an unstoppable and caught one just undersize barra and a little queenie off the bank under the bridge. Went back to the mission bridge for a rematch with the unstoppable and got put to shame. 6 plastics and 6 dustings later and I needed a break. We found a school of blue salmon and small queenies on the chew and caught a stack of fish with a coupla blues finding their way into the esky for tea that night. Did a pub crawl that arvo from the bowlsy to the golf club to the alby. Things got very messy!!! Went south to evans landing the next day slightly dusty and fished the mouth area for a few little trevs and a queen before pushing sth along the beach. We found a stack of rocks down there and pulled a truckload of fish on softies including trout, cod, tuskies, stripies, fingers and a few unknowns? Went back there again the next day for the same result. We were hoping to find som big Gt's or queenies down there but things were very quiet. We took off north from weipa to cullen pt the next morning and set up camp on the beach. Awesome place to camp with beach launch only. They were in the process of building a new ramp while we there which is a shame as even people with 2wd will now be able to launch there. We fished namaletta creek which is a 5km ride in the tinny across a pretty rough bit of water. The place is like a bloody washing machine! Once inside the creek we caught over 150 barra, stacks of small jacks, nice fingermark, too many bloody cod to count and a variety of other things including a nice thready. The 3-4 kilo trevs that we hooked in the snags were also a tonne of fun on a locked up drag! Saw plenty of crocs in the nammy and also a big black jew that was happily cruising just under the surface. The highlight of the trip was casting to a cruising barra over the rock bar in the pic. It ate a B52 in full view of both of us and took off over the rock bar. Great stuff! It was tough packing up the gear and the drive home took forever. At least we had plenty to talk about though. It's a top place and hopefully I'll get back there one day soon. Cheers. Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I've seen some of those photos before Keithy!
    Good work as usual mate.
    Looks like Castlemaine Perkins have given you the arse and Bundaberg Rum now sponsors you hey???
    Cheers, Jeff.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Keith, I'd love to do that one day
    Thanks Dids

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    Looks like Castlemaine Perkins have given you the arse and Bundaberg Rum now sponsors you hey???
    Finally you've reached puberty hey Keith

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Creek Vermin,

Asesome report champ and looking and reading through your report reminder me of the old days back up at Silver Plains with the old man.

Excellent pics mate and what about those muddies, oh and those Barra....oh oh oh salmon etc etc Great variety of fish!!

Thanks for sharing mate and definately worthy of being a finalist for the Egrell Rod at the end of June 2009.

Cheers - Benno
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Fejj+Dids-No probs mixin the both boys. You pair need to toughen up a little!
    Benno-Special place up there mate. How good is it slidin a lure into a snag and not knowing what's gonna smash it next? Bloody hurt comin back to brissie.....

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice trip indeed by the sounds of it. That would be a dream trip for me....
    150 barra sesh is Awesome eh?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Gday mate,

You betchya - having to think it could be a barra / jack / salmon / cod / queenie / tarpon / fingermark ----- oh the pain ha.

Did you stop off at Lakelands sevo (from memory) - they use to have kick ass chicken buggers there....stood about 15cm thick hehe.

Cheers - Benno
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah def stopped at lakelands mate, but didn't go for the chicken burger. Just raided the hot box. Was a good change from eating fish every day.....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like an awesome trip keith....Good variety and top fish.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast