Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick fish..

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A quick fish..

Popped out this morning for a quick fish,and to see how far out the dirty water was running out the river after the rain. The water looked not too bad an hour after high tide so we opened up the zuk and set off. We went to look for a squid on the jigs,only spotted one which yours truly duely lost
    We decided to troll over to a nice dropoff to look for a flatty or two. We had only gone 20 mtres when we had a double hookup on tailor. We anchored up and for the next two hours it was just about a fish a cast,eve two fish a cast in Andys case. Twice he hooked two tailor on one lure, a river 2 sea rover. Both times one dropped off as i couldnt net them as i was playin a fish. No huge fish,a couple about 40cm,but got them casting smiling jacks pilie( a very underrated lure imho) river2 sea rovers and i even landed a few on the flyrod,Though the fly collection has taken a battering
    It didnt really matter what sort of fly i used,small bass poppers,clousers,decievers,even some of andys creations caught fish
    i evn had one tailor bitten in half...its really good to see a decent school in the straits after a mediochre last couple seasons. of note,we saw a lot of flattys but couldnt get one to bite,and also a heap of sandcrabs,so might have to go drop a couple pots in.Also had someone roar in on our spot,n put the fish down for a bit,then go wot when leaving only to hit the rocks and do the bush in his prop,so he had a slow trip home.
    We ended up with around 40 i guess, we brought 6 home,two ill throw in the nipper kipper tonight and the rest will give the older neighbours a feed ..A pretty cool couple hours out..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work chewy, what is with the kid don't he have to go to school the lucky bugga. Some nice catches of tailor, they are good eating on the BBQ. Yum Yum

cheers matt

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha...its our show holiday today...yea they are ok fresh..all good fun but.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Paul. looks like you both had a great time. You can see why they call them choppers eh!

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea,Andy will be tying some more flies this week.. i may need to have a couple beers while instructing him

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of fun there Paul, well done.

I'm quite envious too coz I haven't got a Tailor on fly yet - get into em mate

Neil

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Chewy mate, nice sesh mate........ What do you reckon bit the chopper?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,
    pete,best guess either a little shark(though the fish we have been losing to sharks have been eaten completly) id say maybe a broad barred mackeral, we saw a few good ones free swimming,thats why we trolled in the first place. Its the right time of year for them here. im getting keen to chase a few bigger fish again so ill have to pull my finger out.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chewy,
    Great to see you out having some fun.Beats work anytime
    Cheers Jeks.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Chewy and Andy,

Those tailor are great fun on light line!!! Its amazing how sharp there teeth are, lost a few good lures to them jigging for squire before.

The pic of the tailor withits tail missing is definately from a mackeral. I have had amny a troll bait and livy had its tail cut like that. Notice how straight the cut is, thats the tell tail, sharks have a curvature bit mark. the macks hit the fish at the tail to dissable and then come around and nail the helpless fish.

Might of been worth throwing a live tailor out under a balloon... athough looks like you were in a mouth of a river system.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast