Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barra and Flatties

Gday guys,

Had a productive little session down at the local today with the boys. Things started nicely with a few small flatties and GTs being caught within the first half hour. Most fish fell to Stiffy Minnows and Gulp Shrimp.

Only tiny as you can see...

We got sick of catching tackers so we decided to move up to the ol barra snag. I don't know how we managed to catch barra in the cold conditions but heck...we weren't complaining!

They started small...

By now we had gotten the technique down pat - the trick was to work the Stiffy Minnow as slow as possible. Ideally we would cast as close to the snag as possible; crank the lure down to its operating depth with a couple of draws of the rod; pause the lure for up to 10 seconds before commencing a slow, jerky retrieve that allowed the barra to study the lure for a bit then finaly crunch it!

Joel nailed his first wild saltwater barra shortly after we perfected this technique...

This fish took some bloody wrangling - watched the chrome flash as he hit the lure then tore off through the tree and decided it would be cool to jump on the backside of the snag! A low rod angle and lot of luck managed to get this 41cm fish...

What Stiffy Minnow...hmmm...I think I might re-tie my leader...

Soon after I released that fish Joel was into another one. This time it was a bit better than the runts we'd been catching. At 45cm it was a great effort on 2lb Crystal...

After we had landed the seventh barra they went off the bite so we called it a day and decided on Domino's for lunch!

Cheers Isaac
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream