Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing the creeks

Hey guys and girls this is my first post so go easy on me.
    I live in hervey bay qld and i fish the great sandy straights abit.
    I was in one of many creeks around the straights and i was targeting drain-offs on the run-out tide. We have mud flats and mangroves. So anything from barra,threadies,bream,flathead,cod,grunter all pass and hunt these drains for jelly prawns in the straights. I stayed on one particular drain as it was the biggest and had the most run-off in the whole creek. Then after about an 1.5hrs some threadies turned up busting at the drain so a few frantic casts with the powerbait minnow i landed a nice threadie at 83cm (in winter)and was rewarded for my persistance. After telling my wife i was instructed to take her out the next day so she could catch one. We got out 2days later and after adding 2hrs onto the time that i landed my threadie previously, the threadies were there right on time and the missus got her first winter threadie at 82cm (she was pi$$ed 1cm short of mine) I did try for some on fly as i have caught them this way in summer but they just did not take the presentation, however they do like powerbait minnows
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Treno, welcome to the site and a great firt post.
    A couple of nice threadies there.
    Being from the South west i've really got no idea, bu do the threadies migrate, or just shut down durring the cooler months?
    Also very curious to your outfit that you use to chase 'em, and sp / jig head size?

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site mate, it's a hell of a site and you will enjoy it. They are some solid Threadfin, well done.

Thanks BrissyBreamer

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Nath- i used 3" powerbait minnow on a 1/8 2/0 hook tt jig head, i find there is a better hook up rate with the smaller hooks rather than the 5/0 jigheads. Alot of people around here also thought the threadies were uncatchable in winter, but it just comes down to a smaller feed time, as i only got about 45mins of feed time for the whole tide. In summer they usually feed for around 3hrs of the dropping tide (around hervey bay anyway) I also herd of a barra hook up the other day around here as well but dropped boat side

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey mate you made it here and again nice threadies might chase them in the mornin
    Catch them photoghraph them throw them back

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Treno,

Welcome mate and if that is an indication on your report - my gawd - keep them coming buddy, excellent stuff.

I especially love that pic of the Threadie with his fin out of the water.....sighting casting dream!!!!

What size Powerbait Minnows were you using etc.....?

Cheers - Benno
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey ben I usually catch the threadies on fly, but on this ocassion the 3" bloodworm minnow did the trick. I don't think colour had anything to do with it just keeping the lure right in his face always does the trick.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

About time you joined up Treno, and well done on the Threadies mate.... I didnt realise they were still around. It seems like a long time ago i got my first threadie (93cm) on plastic in my yak :P

I better make a report for the trip out to the gutters a few weekend ago..... lucanus jigs rule! haha Oh and have you seen the report for this weekend.... it is looking awesome.

roydsy