Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Day To Remember

I would like to share with you a special day that I experienced recently and at the same time pass on a few tips that may prove useful to some of you.
    During our usual morning walk my wife,Dianne, remarked that on such a great looking day we should be out in the boat fishing for flathead.It is only recently that she has shown any interest in fishing and most of her outings have been fishing for bream or whiting or chasing crabs,squid or prawns although in recent weeks I had introduced her to soft plastics flathead.Most of her flathead from our local estuary had been just under or just over legal size but about a half hour drive north of home is another estuary where I frequently find much larger specimens.This looked like a golden opportunity to increase her enthusiasm by puting her onto something a little larger.

I like to keep a supply of live bait on hand for spur of the moment trips like this or for upcoming club comps as this is not always available just when you need it.I have an old fibreglass bath tub that had been left on the roadside for the council rubbish collection and I have found that this makes an ideal backyard live bait tank.
    Prawns are by far the easiest baits to keep alive.Any that die are soon eaten by their mates so they do not pollute the tank but by feeding them on granulated gold fish food I have kept large numbers alive for many weeks with very few casualties.However,on this particular day I had a dozen 10-15 cm. mullet swimming in the tank.

It was mid morning before we arrived at my chosen location but this did not concern me as the tide had not yet peaked and I prefer the runout tide when drifting this area.We were to fish close to the mouth of the estuary and on the incoming tide the water is usually very clear.Frequently as I drift over the area I see large flathead take off from the bottom in a cloud of sand,spooked by the boat shadow,even in 2-3 m. of water.This is not so important when lure fishing as I cast ahead of the boat but when drifting live baits which trail along behind the boat the fish are long gone by the time your bait passes over the area.On the dropping tide discoloured water from further up the estuary reduces the risk of spooking the fish.With this in mind I decided to start our fishing by anchoring up at the edge of a deeper hole and waiting for the tide to turn.

Now the purists among you are no doubt alarmed at the thought of me targeting large female flathead on baits.Frequently when flathead are caught on bait they are hooked deep in the gills or gut which greatly reduces their chance of survival when released.However,by rigging and baiting up the way I do,virtually all of my bait caught flathead are hooked in the mouth,just as if I were lure fishing.

I use a paternoster rig.On the bottom ring of a threeway swivel I tie a short (10-15 cm.) sinker trace and attach a large sinker.On the side ring is tied an 8-10 cm leader with a two hook snood.With the size bait I was using this day the hooks were 6/0 chemically sharpened.The main line is then attached to the top ring.When baiting up, the top or leading hook is passed up through the top lip of the bait.The second hook is placed just under the skin further back,taking care to ensure that the point curves out and away from the bait,not inwards and is not covered by any scales.
    The current in this area runs very strongly.The flathead lie in ambush on the bottom facing up stream. As your bait approaches the fish will explode up off the bottom and hit the bait,going away from the boat.With a tight line and two large, almost fully exposed chemically sharpened hooks, a jaw hookup almost always occurs. Even when anchored,the short traces result in the fish coming up tight to the heavy sinker with the momentum of the strike and the hooks do their job before the bait is swallowed.The bait actually acts exactly the same way as a lure with identical results.

Having anchored I baited up a line for Di and handed her the rod with instructions to gently lob the bait out so as not to throw off the lightly hooked bait.it only took about ten minutes for Di to let out a startled cry "ooh Iv'e got something." I turned in time to see the rod bowed over and the sound of the drag yeilding line.More frantic cries from Di. "Help.It feels big here take the rod and pull it in."to which I replied " you hooked the thing now just take yor time and land it."I am not sure what the look on her face was but it looked like sheer terror as she stuggled to keep the rod up and control the fish but gradually the fish was drawn towards the boat.All the while I just stood by with the net, giving instructions- do this - don't do that- wind now -stop winding and let it run - calm down and take your time and enjoy the fight.Just as she started to gain confidence and settle down with even the hint of a smile on her face the fish came into view and panic set in big time."LOOK AT THE SIZE OF IT - QUICK,NET IT -DON'T LET IT GET AWAY - NET IT NOW."As the fish was well out of net range I instructed Di to gently lead it towards the boat.At this point the fish decided that enough was enough and surged towards the bottom.Di attempted hold it and the hooks pulled .
    Guess who was in the dog house now for letting her fish escape.If looks could kill I would have been crab bait." YOU SHOULD HAVE LEANT OUT FURTHER- MY BIGGEST FISH EVER -I WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER ONE LIKE IT
    All I could do was take her rod , rebait the hooks and hand it back with the advice "that's fishing just get back in there and catch a bigger one."
    Over the next half hour as Di gradually calmed her nerves I explained that the fish had taught her one of the most important rules of fishing. ie more fish are lost in the last few metres than at any other stage.As the line becomes shorter the margin of error reduces and this is the time to ease off and take things steady.Trying to rush things at this time usually ends in disaster.Next time remain calm and gently lead the fish to the net.If it wants to run let it.
    And then it happened.The rod bounced in her hands and then bowed over as another fish took off against the drag.This time there was no frantic cries or attempt to pass me the rod - just a look of grim determination on her face.With me offering encouragement and continual instructions as the fish made a number of powerful surges,slowly but surely the fish was drawn towards the boat.As the fish came within reach I uttered a silent prayer and reached out with the net.Success at last - a nice 77 cm. fish and a personal best fish ever for Di.While I unhooked the fish and got the camera ready all of the adrenalin and pent up emotions came pouring from a very excited angler.After a quick photo there was no sadness this time as the fish swam back out of sight towards the bottom no worse for wear.
    With no further action at this spot and the tide starting to run out a change of tactics was called for.Not far upstream a small feeder creek entered the main channel.As usually happens an eddy forms and a deeper hole forms where the two currents meet. Flathead will often lie in ambush here waiting on prey leaving the smaller creek with the tide.This is also the first spot to discolour as the water drains from the mangroves.
    I positioned the boat off the edge of the eddy and instructed Di to cast her bait onto the shallow upsteam sand bank, the idea being for the bait to be dragged over the drop ,down the slope and across the hole as the boat drifted away.The bait never reached the hole,the strike coming just over the edge of the dropover.A much more relaxed and cofident angler played the fish to the boat where a successful net job saw an 86 cm.fish in the boat.More photos another happy release and celebrations as the personal best was further lifted.
    A lunch break was called and I ran the boat up onto the shallow bank of the creek and dropped the anchor.I figured it was time for me to join in the action so while Di prepared lunch I rigged a rod for myself and placed it in a rod holder.Dosen't it always happen - a drink in one hand and a fistful of food and the line takes off.This time a complete role reversal - me on the rod and Di giving instructions - it's amazing what a couple of fish can do for the confidence.At least I had taught her well - always net a fish from the front.Fish don't swim backwards so if the hooks pull at the last minute it is amazing how many times the fish will dive into the net.Di made no mistake with the net and I was also able to release a fish in the mid eighties.
    By the time lunch was over the tide was running strongly so I moved the boat out into the main channel to a location where the bottom consists of weed covered ridges separated by sandy depressions.Flathead lie behind the ridges to wait for food to pass.I set up a drift pattern to cross these ridges.On our third drift I advised Di to get ready as her bait was about to fall into one of the deeper hollows.I had hardly finished speaking when her rod slammed down and she was on again.Despite the added difficulty of the strong current she did agreat job.This time it was me who nearly had a stroke when I saw the size of the fish.Fortunately I didn't miss with the net and Di had a magnificent 91 cm. fish with a head like a shovel.
    After this the rest of the afternoon was a bit of an anticlimax with me landing three more fish over 70 cm.but nothing could top that last fish of Di's.
    Truly a memorable day with seven fish ranging from 72 cm. to 91 cm. landed and safely released but even more memorable for the pleasure of witnessing and taking part in a relative newcomer to our sport catching not one but three fish that anybody would be more than happy to land.Days like that are something special and don't come along very often.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering when this story was gonna end!
    Great day there Mick and Di, awesome fish, I'd kill for a Flathead session like that. Top stuff!!

Cheers Jeff.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

that is great fishing those lizards are horses great work.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice Flattys there mate...nice..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

More like a report that can't be forgotten mate. That is massive flathead. top stuff

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Some monsters there...!!....91cm is a beast!

Pete

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

What a top read Mick, and they are some ripper lizards that you both got into.
    Some great tips as well when it comes to your rigs - and it shows that we never stop learning.

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quality session there Mick, and the Mrs looks well and truly stoked over the magnificent captures.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a great read Mick, thoroughly enjoyed it. Top fish and report.

Thanks BrissyBreamer

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great read Mick, and congratulations to Di for a magnificent effort. I'm sure you were as stocked as she was...maybe even more.
    I like how you keep a supply of live bait at home in the tub.
    Do you have to top it up with salty water or do you run an air stone at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast