Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Basset Basin Flatties

Was sitting at home this morning not doing much at all the missus had plans to go out and was thinking it had been a couple of weekssince I'd had the boat out so I decided to take it for a run down the Pioneer river and as you do you always chuck a rod & abit of tackle in. Well I was criusin about over the sand flats just lookin about as I haven't done a lot fishing in the basin & noticed a fair few flatties darting off from the boat, I also seen a barra that looked around the 50cm mark, some travelly and alot of good whiting aswell. It finally got the better of me so I tried on a bomber as it was the shallowest lure I could find & off I went just working the shallow flats moving up the tide, after about 15mins I got a couple of flatties around the 30 - 40cm mark also having alot of follows even having 2 flatties following side by side. Then things got a little more interesting as I flicking away a noticed a puff of sand right in front of boat which was actually heading towards where I'd just cast my lure, as I didn't see what it was thinking it was just a stingray I started working my lure back to the boat, it was about the 3rd jig when something smack my bomber, only being about 3ft deep it wasn't long before I worked out what it was. It ended up being a nice 69cm flattie which is the biggest flatties I've boated which was a plus.
    After that little effort I thought I would end the like that and headed off home rather happy with myself. Not bad for just goin to take the boat for run & I think I'll start going there alittle more often seen as it on my door step I may aswell make the most of this great system of water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff well done. Even when they are stingrays drarting off i have found out that the flattys are usally there in the puff of sand.
    cheers Brook

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one mate,Love those bananafish bombers..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..