Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Townsville spots?

I'm going to be in Tv for the V8 supercar round this year
    My Father in Law wants me to take my wife's brother in law fishing while I'm there if I get chance, he's just immigrated from Turkey and never had a chance to do any real fishing before.
    Can anyone recomend a spot (not looking for secret spots here, just general tips) where we can go and catch some fish? Flatties, bream, barra, jacks, anything would be good - doesn't have to be eating size. Bait or lures.
    And maybe what time / tide to fish there? I think it may be a 6AM (low tide) fish so I don't miss any V8 action.
    Thanks for any help.
    Cheers
    Craig

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on all you Northerners I'm sure you can share a spot or two with Craig
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

G'day Craig.
    The V8 track runs over a very productive waterway that runs throught the heart of Townsville: Ross Creek. At this time of year the creek has lots of little GT's, queenfish, barracuda, tarpon and there is a resident population of barra.

Wintertimes lower temps see barra action slow down, but they still feed. It is most productive on the night tides, so fishing won't interfere with race day action. Early morning also fishes well around the bridges and deeper sections for queenies.

Not far away is the Ross River, home to the same species, as well as a few more. Baitfish are currently thick in there, attracting lots if trevally, 'cuda and queenies on the incoming tides. Wherever you go, low tide is generally not the best tide to fish. An early morning high will generally put you in with the best chance of a fish.

The Strand also offers 2 good spots in the form of the Rockpool wall and the Jetty. At this time of year mackerel run the show, and these spots can get very crowded when the fishing is good. Right around the corner is a fairly good flat that I fish quite often, which lately has been giving up flathead, barra and tarpon.

Depending on where you'll be staying and how much time you have, I'd recommend hitting the creek or the river if the tide isn't gonna be great. The bridges and the rockwalls always hold something willing to bite. Lowth's bridge on Ross Creek, and the rock wall downstream of Rooney's Bridge (the train bridge over the Ross River).

PM when you get down here with your available times and I'll try my best to point you in the direction of a likely spot. Also, I recommend popping into either Tackle World at Domain Central, or Fishing Warehouse and asking for some info. The staff at both stores are very experienced and helpful.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Craig,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.....I'll repy to your post in the morning as I'm always keen to help vistors out with some fishing spots
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Craig,

I've just read Teds post & he has pretty much covered all the spots that I was going to mention...All of the rock walls would be worth a hit (with either lures or bait) & you won't really need to worry about the tidal influence in those areas, as they are all fairly deep!!

I myself will be at the V8's or else I could have organised to take ya's out in the boat somewhere!!

I will Pm you my mobile number - So if you need a hand with any of ther directions etc, please don't hesitate to give me a call!!

I hope you excited about the Dunlop 400 - Townsville is going crazy at the moment!! It should be a fantastic weekend
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!