Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Barra Moment

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barra Moment

A couple of weeks ago i went down the creek after school and casted at a snag and got a hit straight away and the few casts later hooked the fella it was a cuda and next couple of cast brought nothing then half way through the retrieve ZZZZZZZ!!! My light reel screamed and i grabbed the spool in desperation to stop it from going further under the snag but the hooks dropped so a few cast later i got another cuda so i moved on and i had casted twice then another loud ZZZZZZ! and then i saw a flash of silver and it done a head shake and the hooks fell so i casted again nothing, then the next cast i felt a bump so i slowed down abit and then ZZZZZZZZ! it was heading up the creek so i grabbed the spool and it jumped and then swam back down stream and i turned its head and it was tiring and i had gotten it to its side and i had to just guide it over a sumerged log when the hooks dropped! Wasn't i kicking my self but i couldn't believe i hooked a winter barra! But yesterday I went down to the same spot and was rewarded with only a small barra but its still promising for the barra to be still biting. A fished using a prawnstar lure and the barra hit it but missed the hooks so i tied on a 3' atomic prong and got him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking Barra

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah he was a healthy looking barra

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice barra well done.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff. Smaller offerings fished a bit deeper and slower, close to structure is often the ticket for winter barra. Prawn imitations are worth their weight in gold at this time of year, but other smaller lures work well also.
    Ultralight RULES!!