Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Great fish...and great catch mate.

Like Jeff said....very well done on such small trebles...!

Pete

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah i just compared it with my larger model and yeah its different but there are a great blade lure and really vibrate hard for thier size

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea they have all twisted,the longtail was around 8 kg and stressed it a bit,i was fishing for bonito...but it went ok,except like u say the short grip sucked for the long fight..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on you PB...what a great read that was. I'd love to come watch you have a fish one day, its always action packed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Heyah Shortlite, what a dramatical read, I felt like I was right there with you mate. Congratz on the PB on the ultralight.

Blades are fun eh?

What's the action, vibration, etc. like on them X-ray blades?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

I must admit that I usually like a short handle on my rods, but I can see the benefit of a longer one when fishing for heavier species.

I was suprised by those X-Ray blades as I tried one myself up in Exmouth, but lost it pretty quick. They don't seem as fast as the ecogears, but quite good and they look good in the water
    Ben Hough
    Hobie Quest
    PB Snapper - 80cm, Bream - 42.5cm, Queenfish - 102cm, Longtail Tuna - 91cm (9.1kg)

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler and Tairyo rods!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

The Koolabung blades do vibrate well, although not as hard and as fast as metal blades. The polycarbonate "softens" the vibe a bit, not much: you can feel it very well. With a bit of tweaking and fine tuning, they shake on every lift.

Short handles are great for wristy flicking casts, and smaller fish, especially in tight spots where a bit of rod work and changing angles is needed. However, for bigger fish and long fights, nothing beats a bit of extra length to lock against your forearm for comfort and added leverage. I try my hardest to reach a good compromise on my rods, as I often fish open water, and cast double handed. At the same time I can cast single handed, work lures without catching the butt on my shirt, and fight a fish off the wrist if I want to. When I get stretched, I tuck the butt into my forearm and haul a$$.

The see through finishes on the polycarbonate really do give a different look, and the softer shake seems to get through to fish that can be put off by the harder vibe of a metal blade. Blades are indeed fun, another useful tool.

Joe, thought you were moving up here? LOL. There's always a spot free for anyone to come along for a fish.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff Ted,

thats a great read and top pics buddy. People underestimate how effective small lures can be on big fish. While my boat is off the water i better catch up and try some land base fishing!!!
    Crack the light stuff and have a flick

Keep them reports coming mate.

cheers

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Going small and matching the hatch can be very important at this time of year. Landbased makes it tough sometimes, but when it all comes together it can be pretty awesome....

Aaron mate, break out the light stuff and have a flick. Might see ya around one of the local marks sometime. Hopefully the weather will ease up and bring back Monday's conditions.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Shortlite,
    Great read and pic. Would have love to been there to watch all the action.
    Congratulations on your new PB. You deserve an award for all that effort.
    Cheers Jeks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast