Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quiet Sunday - 19/07/09

G'day guys,

Today a mate and I went searching for Flatties to test out our lighter gear. Armed with a variety of plastics, jigheads and leader sizes we went for a search around the area looking at structure to flick when high tide hit and boy did we find some lies. In one area we found roughly 10 or more lies which were all over 50CM's.

Adam was experimenting using fairly large plastics with weird body shapes and I was using Damiki D and WOW Grubs in Gold and Gold Mix Flake. Gold seemed to be the go-to colour today on a 1/12 jighead fished slowly.

After talking for a while we got into the fishing. An hour or so went by without any success, hits were coming slowly. We deciding to walk onwards and flick our plastics into the channel where we began picking up the hits, still no hookups. I then decide to change to a known colour for Flathead; Gold. One cast, two twitches and I was on. After a few short bursts and some guidance from Adam I landed the fish, a healthy Flathead. After a few quick shots the fish was safely returned back to the water.

Now that the tide has covered the structure we first investigated we moved spots. This however did not decrease nor increase our hookup rate. We flicked this area for approximately 2Hours until I receive a message from mum 'I'm on my way'. Bugger, just as the tide was changing for the better I have to leave.

It was a great day, even though the fish weren't chewing. Hopefully next time.

Thanks BrissyBreamer

The smaller Lizard (Second picture) was taken a week ago on a 2" Berkley Gulp Sandworm in Camo and a NicoJig whilst targeting Bream.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Exploring and finding new areas will boost your catches in the future.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad luck Tom,

Do some searching around for better techniques.
    Bigger plastics will help.

Pete

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

We started using the larger plastics and jigheads but no avail so we downsized. A few larger ones have been lost there due to the structure, just not as thick.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrissyBreamer View Post
    We started using the larger plastics and jigheads but no avail so we downsized. A few larger ones have been lost there due to the structure, just not as thick.
    Did you lose any to the structure in the background...???

Looks like some nasty terrain...???

Pete

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

No in fact we lost them to submerged logs which were at least 20Foot long. Do you happen to ever get snagged?

Thanks BrissyBreamer

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrissyBreamer View Post
    No in fact we lost them to submerged logs which were at least 20Foot long. Do you happen to ever get snagged?

Thanks BrissyBreamer
    In my younger days I got snagged quite alot at the local clubs,pubs etc.....marriage put an end to that....

Pete

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought you were a top gun flathead catching machine, maybe not. Maybe you should read this review, will help you become a better angler: http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum...ead.php?t=5438

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day Tom, I got out on the bay myself, bugger all around but thousands of boats. Tried for a few flathead inside Moreton and got a half dozen little tackers. Nice day though.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

At least you got to go out and about and got a few bites and a fish or 2.

It's raining here in Perth and there is a weather warning.

p.s. Be kind to the young fella lads
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast