Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Type of Fishing Line Do I Need?

Hi. I am new to fishing. So I don't know much. Today I bought a new rod+reel combo and I went fishing to the river (Ross). I caught two fishes that both broke off my fishing line. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of fishing line I need to go with my rod+reel for 5 kgs. Thanks.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,can you give us a little more info about the combo,where you were fishing, and has anyon explained about setting the drag on the reel so if the fish wants to run,the reel will release line so it doesnt break
    chewy..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure. What exactly do you wanna know? Yes I know about the drag. I let the fish run and then When I was pulling it back the line broke.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Were you fishing in the salt,did you get the sinker and swivel back,if using one. Some of the townsville fishos may be able to shed some light on if there are any bities where you were fishing. Maybe all you need is to get a spool of slightly heavier leader/trace material. What sort of fish were you chasing,and were you using bait or lures?
    cheers,,chewy..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I don't know if I was fishing in the salt. But I was fishing here. At the end of the rod's line I had a sinker, a swivel and another line (40 lb, 0.55 mm diameter). I didn't get anything back. I am not really after a specific fish. I was using prawns as bait.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

How are you going edemirci, welcome to the site.

From the sound of it, considering you were using such a heavy leader and did not get any back, it sounds like your line snapped at either your mainline, or your joining knot. What knot were you using?
    When you say 5kg, is that the strength of the line on the reel at the moment, the rating on the rod, or the size of the intended fish???
    I know that some of the reels that can be bought with line already on aren't always of the best quality, and spending an extra couple of bucks can often make a huge difference.
    Not being from the area, I've realy got no idea what fish would be targeted, and hopefuly one of the crew from around the area should be able to shed some light on what could be targeted, and a recomended set-up.

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, Rooney's bridge, just outside Oonoonba. The fishing can be a bit hit and miss there, ver tide dependent though. You are right on the money with prawns for bait, as a lot of fish feed on prawn at this time of year. The pylons are quite snaggy, and there are some bits of trees jammed against them. There are some nice barramundi in the river, and also a fair few jacks, bream, plus lots of other species that come in on the tides to feed.

Were you fishing from the bank or off the bridge? With a decent reel and drag the line shouldn't have broken when pulling to reel in the fish, but it's important not to pull back when the fish is running, and also not to reel against the drag as well.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shortlite. I was fishing from the bank then. But I saw many people fishing off the bridge on my way back. So I guess that's what I should do next time?
    Today, I learnt some from Craig and internet about what drag is used for. I didn't really know what the drag is or what it is used for.
    Anyways, I guess I have everything sorted out now. Thanks everyone.
    But I have some questions for you: I am using Size 2 hooks. Is that size ok? Or should I go smaller? And what are good places for fishing now that I can I go in Townsville on Ross River or on Ross Creek? Are there places to go in the fresh water? I go to the pedestrian bridge on Ross River and Rooney's Bridge.
    I am new to fishing and to Townsville. So I need help. Thanks.