Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

If the weather holds Dids..we might sneak out for a look for a red fish this weekend..there are plenty of barra round..but its been a while between red ones..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Is that possum on your head dead, Troy or is it a pet?
    Nar mate, you were right the first time. It's a dead Possum.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Pretty amazing stuff, about time you became an honoury mod here I think.
    Haha, I'd crack down on smart arses to begin with :P . Joking, joking. Same to you Kevin, moderator status to your name in no time I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmour View Post
    Troy, as usual you are smashing the threadies!!!!!!

are you keepin the odd fish or catch and release. getting those lures from deep in the mouth and not hurting the fish must be some effort.
    Yeah we keep the odd one. When they run you through the structure you have to play them out softly on next to no drag so they don't bust you off. The smaller ones are usually pretty easy to pull out but on the big ones it's hairy stuff. If you pull too hard, the braid will rub off on sharp edges. Don't pull enough and there's more chance of the hooks falling out with the heavy lures. Fighting them softly around structure means a couple of them surface 99% spent and are pretty hard to release.

Yeah some of the deep hook ups don't end up too well for the fish so most become a mad feed. Some deep hook ups aren't as bad as they look though. We release about 95% of the Threadfin and Jew we catch. Most of the Jew are undersized anyway but.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    You must get a lot of offers to unblack those pics, I can just imagine what it must look like. Good report and ya leadn the way on this forum.
    Thanks for the Cheque Kevin. Sending the photos through now :P .

Quote Originally Posted by pinkey View Post
    Can i have your autograph ?
    No worries. Who should I make it out to? :P .

I noticed more geckos last night than I've seen all winter, does this all mean spring is coming early? Time to start warming up the bait casters, the red fish are getting close

Cheers Dids
    My trusty Jack Drains should be firing within the next few months. By late September I'll be hitting them up I reckon. That's if I can be pulled away from the Threadies. Providing they are still chewing hard by then. Got any game plans Dids?

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    You are one obsessed man dids.....

Havent the boys inspired you enough to start chasing threadies...!!!

Jese....I would much rather chase them....

Pete
    Gotta agree with you there Pete. Would much rather a big Threadfin. The stamina of a lot of fish owns any Jack. I guess the hit is what you're after. Then again I wouldn't mind a Jack pushing 55-60.

Each to his own Pete, but I'd rather leave those alone, that river is a toxic drain. It'd eat the bottom out of the topender, you notice the way the threadies glow yellow. Can't be good.
    Doesn't worry me at all . More for me to catch.

Jacks are good yeah, but it's good to be versatile in catching different species. I'd be bored shit less if my fishing life revolved around setting out lines for hours waiting for that big Jack hit. Only for the rod holder to feel the full force of the fish and you just wind the fish in. Not saying all Jack fishing is like that but quite a bit of it is. I always hold the rod when I'm targeting them because that's the best bit!

Troy

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

I normally dont lure for jacks with my rod in the rod holder..lol

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    i Normally Dont Lure For Jacks With My Rod In The Rod Holder..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_mako View Post
    not Saying All Jack Fishing Is Like That But Quite A Bit Of It Is.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

you have not experienced jacks untill you pull a 60+ out of whiteys fave jack hole on a handline. the fingers are tense just thinking about typing that story

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mKs View Post
    So basically your trying to say you have tried to catch one a few times but donuted?
    Yes, tried once at the end of last summer and doughnuted. The few hours I spent was not the most pleasant fishing, I'm always pleased to see the back of the river when I head out of it into the bay.
    But no offence to you guys, I'm sure that would be great fun, I'll get kevie to take me one day and teach me the fine art.

Cheers Dids

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue_mako View Post
    Got any game plans Dids?
    No Troy, but this post has got me thinking I might wait for a few warm days and give it a bash

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

If your ever up in the bay in summer Dids give us a yell,there is always a few around,specially if you want to have a bait fish.
    tight lines..chewy..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123