Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Officially Barra Slimed :-)

Hi guys,

Firstly I’d like to dedicated this to Mal Nielsen (mnielsen) HI MAL Mal is one of our Active Angler fans from down at the Burdekin (Ayr), he was only telling my grandad, Pat, the other week that he has been missing my stories...So hopefully this is the start of many more

Well, we had it all planned to put my new boat (Runamuc) in the water early Saturday Morning for its maiden voyage...it was all set up & ready to go Friday afternoon so we could get away for a early start.....Went to the Townsville Game Fishing Club Presentation Night....& guess what, as usual we RUNAMUC!!....

I believe my crew member (TODDOSH) got home at 4.30am ( I wasn’t much earlier)....We had planned to leave at 6am!! OOPS!! ....I finally made it around there by 7am (after a little sleep in)....We looked at each other & said!! Naaahhhhh lets go tomorrow!!!

Ok Take 2.....SUNDAY MORNING 6am!!!

We are on the road to one of the well-known local creeks to the South of Townsville called Morrissey’s Creek....We get to the boat ramp & the car park looked like the Dairy Farmers Stadium Carpark on game night!! Every man & his dog was there!!!

Put the boat in & the motor started first time, thank god, as being the first trip you always expect something to go wrong!!

It was a fairly cool NQ winter morning (I would like to highlight that I did say NQ morning, so there are no smart a#s comments required from you Southerners )...The sounder water temp read 20.7 deg (I said no smart a#s comments ), which is pretty cold up here & normally most of the popular species like Barra are sooky la, la's when it comes to the cold, so we didn’t really have any high expectations!!

Here we heading down the creek - This site is so worth getting out of bed for

It was right on high tide & we planned to go straight to a couple of Todd’s favourite trolling banks which 9 times out of 10 produce some quality mundies….But guess what??? Everyman & his dog brought 4 crab pots each so the joint was covered in crab pot floats (the poor crabs didn’t stand a chance)……As we said a few explicit words , we attempted to do figure or eights amongst the floats but it just wasnt going to allow us to run our lures over the relevant snags!!

Oh well, we scooted down the creek a little more & we found a bank that allowed some trolling room….Lures were out & BANG, something took my RMG Scorpion! It felt like a good bite but then it was just coming up like a little cod! So I did call it for a cod!! Diiirrrr, it was a dam barra!! (I told you they were sooky la, la’s in the cold as it didn’t even fight)…Although it was a little fella, I was happy with it, as you always here these horror stories of boats being jinxed when it comes to catching barras (just like I’m jinxed when it comes to Sailfish) so I was happy to get the first one out the road….Hopefully there are many more to come J

Runamucs first official barra slime – 56.5cm before release

Had a couple of more half hearted bites after that & then WHACK, my lure was smashed again….This time it ripped drag on 30lb braid!! I wasn’t stopping whatever it was as it quickly took be under, over & around some pretty wooded timber (YEP – I GOT BRICKED!!!)….We mucked around for a little bit with it but whatever it was won the fight…& a new piece of jewellery (my RMG Scorpian J ) My guess was a good size Jack!!

The tide was quickly dropping so before we ran out of to much water, we decided to go for an explore (away from all the boats & crabs pots) up some little side creeks….There were some great looking snags along the banks so I was confident we were going to have some fun with some little Jacks/barras

I used a little Halco Laser 150mm, which I had never really used before….But I was very happy with it, it had a nice little action that I was very pleased with…I have a new favourite lure for the time being!

Ok, now I want to make you Southerner Jack fishos a bit jealous……

To cut a long story short….We flicked lures for an hour or so & got 4 Jacks, 2 were released & the following 40cm & 42 cm were kept for dinner J

I know, I know that our creek Jacks don’t even get closed to the size that you guys get down South…but its was great to get a couple of quality fish during winter!!

Not a bad little sesh, especially seeing though we didn’t have high expectations & we were home by lunch!!

Overall, I was very very happy with the boat…..as well as a great day out on the water once again with Captain TODDOSH!! (My No 1 RUNAMUC team member HAHA!!)

Stay tuned for more RUNAMUC ADVENTURES next week…..As this weekend I’m off to explore Missionary Bay, at the famous Hinchinbrook Island!! (Can you tell that I’m over the STRONG WIND depression I was having )

HI HO HI HO I’m off to Hinchinbrook I go!!
    Last edited by Talina; 05-08-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

hehehehe sounded like you had a great adventure there you pear hehehehe a good little barra and some nice jacks to mmmmmmm put a pic up of you new boat talina it looks nice!!!!!! i went to hinchinbrook a couple of times and its great up there we got a heap of GTS in the main channel in a big school mmmmmm was so much fun just casting my spinners in to the birds working and 2 winds of the reel and bang you on!!!! they were all about 3 kgs but a lot of fun!!! good luck up there and i wont have to tell you to have fun because you know how to do that every trip anyway hehehehehe go get em and good on you

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul.....Check out this link for the photos Boat .....I'll get some good ont he water action shots on the weekend!!

Yep, for those of you have been to Hinchinbrook...it is what they called Fishermans Heavan!! so hopefully we have a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by paul ''come in spinner'' View Post
    hehehehe sounded like you had a great adventure there you pear hehehehe a good little barra and some nice jacks to mmmmmmm put a pic up of you new boat talina it looks nice!!!!!! i went to hinchinbrook a couple of times and its great up there we got a heap of GTS in the main channel in a big school mmmmmm was so much fun just casting my spinners in to the birds working and 2 winds of the reel and bang you on!!!! they were all about 3 kgs but a lot of fun!!! good luck up there and i wont have to tell you to have fun because you know how to do that every trip anyway hehehehehe go get em and good on you

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacks and Barra.......nice work T and Todd. They are 2 fish I am yet to tangle with.
    I'm glad your new rig RUNAMUC is all sweet and what a nice way to chrisen her!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Told ya it was a barra boat T,How did you go with the electric?? did you get it all sorted??
    History reveals that its normally the decky in that boat that has some sort of catastrophe..be it falling in,throwing a rod over or throwing in the cast net whilst not attached to said thrower..hopefully its all good luck from now on,n it looks like you got off on the right foot..
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chewy....Yeah everything was sorted ok, had no problems with anything!! That foot pedal was a bit tough to get use to at the start but I got the hang of it use slowly....The more I use it the easier it become

Other then that, I am very happy & just cant wait to get out on the water again!!

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Talina, Thanks for the mention and the story. I love this website.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear Mal....I'll get down there one of these days to take you fishing!! & then I can do a story on YOU

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Talina,
    Awesome maiden trip there. Couldn't help but notice the "Off to Hinchinbrook" comment. Just wondering if you could help out. I haven't been to the channel for about 10 or 11 years. Was wondering if you use the Fisher's Creek ramp as we did back then, and if so what amount of tide is needed to get in and out. As I said I have a 429 Nomad and would need about 40cm of water to float.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dusty.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Talina,
    Nice way to break in the new rig, congt's. My eyes lit up when you said you were going to missionary bay, As i'am going there in early October i would be up for some good info after you check it out, i'll be in touch,

Cheers Stingray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast