Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default South Qld Barra advice

This summer I want to get a wild Barra off my "bucket list", so it's time to start putting a plan together I live in Brisbane can someone give me advice on where would be a good destination to aim for for a long weekend drive towing the topender, where it's a "pretty sure thing" to hookup on a, preferably lure caught, wild Barra. The closer to Bris. the better. Any reliable spots around Harvey Bay Chewy? Baffle Creek? Gladstone?

No pond donkeys for the first one please! No offence but I like my first to be wild.

Thanks Dids

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Pond Donkeys
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Or with airfares the way they are, should I fly up to NQ and hire a guide? Would that work out cheaper and better?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

You can do that...Your more then welcome up here anytime!!!!

I know I dont charge anything...maybe a carton of beer or something!!!

But if you want to pay for a professional (they do more fishign then I do), I know a couple of good ones around the place, so i could get a good price....I'd probably even pay to come too!! Andrew Mead of Aussie barra Charters would be the main man (& is a family friend). I would almost guarentee you a barra with him http://www.aussiebarracharters.com.au/

Its up to you, just let me know
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi dids,
    there are a lot in hervey bay,but can be hard to entice to bite,particularly as a fair few have been speared in the last 12 months. Im guessing you would prefer lure cast rather than troll or bait.Which also makes it hard.I wouldnt bother with baffle for barra,and gladdy is out of my knowledge base. The mary throws up a fair few b4 the closed season,but you nearly need a stinger suit to escape the sandflies..actully a couple guys i know wear these... Iv been going thru my fishing diary and early september is normally when i get more serious,but it remains to be seen if the numbers here will recover,or if they will remain flighty this year as well.
    Soon as i hear something ill let you know,we normally get a few at the sugar mill hot water outlet,but it doesnt look like it will clear up in time this year.
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

T, That sounds good, share a charter, Hmmmm, leave it with me

Chewy, Andrew(Gecko) seems to be having a hard time getting one, so I figure my chances of getting lucky in 1 weekend are slim????? (they always are)
    Last edited by Didley; 06-08-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate they are here,but where we chase them,you either get them,or noting at all.No jacks no nothing.Andy and i actually marked a few on the sounder last weekend,but the water is still tooo cold,imho.Like Bargy showed on his dvd if your are prepared to troll for 4 of 5 hours you will eventually anoy them enough but ill wait till it warms a little.You will notice barra reports from down here are few and far between due to the wholesale slaughter following Bargys dvd,not that i think there is anything wrong with taking a feed but this was just taking them by the dozen coz they could,and we are talking pretty sizeable fish. There are a fair lot caught and released just not too many people know where.
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Tin Can can be reliable at times too Dids.

Also the Fitzroy at Rocky, that's only an 8 hour drive.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Give Paul Dolan a ring did's. The bloke is extremely knowledgable and is a true gentleman. If he can't put you onto a wild barra then you may aswell buy yourself a .308 and go snorkeling for em'. He guides around the Hervey Bay region and just about anywhere else down that way. From bass to billies he'll help you out.
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    Give Paul Dolan a ring did's. The bloke is extremely knowledgable and is a true gentleman. If he can't put you onto a wild barra then you may aswell buy yourself a .308 and go snorkeling for em'. He guides around the Hervey Bay region and just about anywhere else down that way. From bass to billies he'll help you out.
    That sounds like good advice TT, I know of him, he took over Sid Bosh.......'s
    charter business didn't he

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast