Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stomping in Vines

Hey AA's

Went for a stomp in Vines creek on Sunday with my brother, Jacob AKA jchri98 on here.

I had abit of a chat to Isaac (Try Hard) the other day at BCF and he pointed me in the direction of the Stiffy Minnow's. Having never really had a good go at throwing lures, I figured why not.

Having only recently really gotten into fishing, the minister of finance said I musn't spend much - so my rod and reel is a $30 Big W special - a Berkley fiberglass Revolution rod, with a Berkley spinner on it

Anyway we fished the outgoing tide, headed to Vines about 2:00PM and fished around for about an hour off the banks as I wasn't keen on swimming just yet. After about an hour the water level had dropped enough to wade over onto the various sand bars, where we proceed to move up the creek as shown by the red line. I was throwing the Stiffy Minnow and Jacob was having ago with some Gulp 4" Sandworms. Jacob got baited afew times, and I managed to throw my Minnow into a nice snag resulting in Jacob going for a swim after it for me. Apart from that, there was nothing else to really report.

Being my first real decent go at throwing lures, I came out being able to cast alot better and have afew techniques down for lure retrieval. Not a total write-off, it was good to explore a new area.

Next time I want to head up the other side of the creek.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

wow mate your brave for wading around in the deeper pools, Stuart who works at bcf also lives on one of the boats in this area and mentioned a large croc sighting. Better keep the eyes peeled

Good repeort Mate hope you get stuck into a few soon. Do you work for Josh Wight?

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I really wish you didn't post that! haha

Which larger pools do you mean ?

Nah, I work for NQBE in Sales.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey all,

After we came up with nothing we decided to head down to the floodgates near the River Street boat ramp, which is a favourite haunt of myself and my school mates. Being low tide we had to go out onto a spit so we could reach the water, the resulting treck across the mud proved quite ridiculous as it sunk down to the upper shin/knee level but triumphing over many trials and tribulations we arrived at our destination and began casting out. Adam was throwing his Stiffy Minnow again and I stuck with the gulp.

Not a very fruitful little session, not even a nibble and Adam nearly had his eye taken out by my hook that came unexpectedly loose from a snag so we decided to pack it in for the day, being near 5PM at that stage.

On the way back across we had to get up a fair steep and fair slippery section so Adam, being the excellent climber he is, says "I know what 'll do!" and proceeded to do something (of which I didn't catch the details, me plotting a safe and sensible route and all) which resulted in him nearly faceplanting it in the mud, it was all quite funny. Eventually we got back to the car and headed home, a thoroughly enjoyable day, if a little fishless.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchri98 View Post
    On the way back across we had to get up a fair steep and fair slippery section so Adam, being the excellent climber he is, says "I know what 'll do!" and proceeded to do something (of which I didn't catch the details, me plotting a safe and sensible route and all) which resulted in him nearly faceplanting it in the mud, it was all quite funny. Eventually we got back to the car and headed home, a thoroughly enjoyable day, if a little fishless.
    I thought it would be an idea to get a run up to get up the side of the muddy bank. Didn't work and the first step I took into the mud ended up knee-deep in mud and smashing my feet on the rocks at the bottom of the mud.

Feet are still abit sore from climbing over those damn pebbles!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Just around a few of the bends and up towards the ramp there are some deeper gutters, and a couple of deeper pools, around 2m deep

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was honest about how long it took me to land my first fish on a lure I might just end up putting you off for good.

I've had the most success flicking 4-5" flick baits/jerk shads with 3/8 ounce heads around rocky areas with fast current and a depth of no less than 4m.

My only suggestion is keep at it and don't give up. That first hookup you get will be something you remember for a long time.

Matt.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh trust me I am nowhere near giving up, As I said above I came away from this small 3hr session being able to cast so much better then when I went into it.. it's all a learning curve!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

thats the way mate, keep at it

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear of your first venture out with lures....Keep it up, and you will be rewarded. Its always very exciting catching your first fish on a particular lure.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast