Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunday session..

Hi all,
    well with the northerly wind making it too uncomfortable to fish the bay,Andy talked me into a couple hours fishing in the burrum for tarpon and jacks. Iv got to say i wasnt that keen,having had my mind set on chasing trevally and tuna in the bay,but having a keen 14yr nagging all day wore me down. So pushing the poly in about 3pm,the tide was a fair bit higher than i thought,so we went for a quick run up the Cherwell river as it sometimes produces on the higher tide. Alas,there was no bait at the couple spots i wanted to fish,and 47 snags/lures up trees later,Andy says"dad,can we go somewhere else ".
    I fired up the motor,and headed up the Burrum. Pulling up where a mate had lost his favourite lure last week,i tied on a Prawnstar original,with the tail dipped in Some chateruse dye(brand unknown,Foxie?)
    Several snags later i thought about moving but andy(who had retreated to the drivers seat while i got yet another snag off) said there were fish showing on the sounder so out went the prawnstar again. Catching the wind,it basically laned where i had just de snagged it from
    i freespooled it down,in about 10 feet of water...instantly feeling the timber..i sort of jiggled,hopped..twtched it through the stick..feeling it come free a little,i lifted it a metre or so,watchin the t.d sensor braid on the freefall,i still didnt have time to react when the 8kg live fibre braid buckled over..i could feel the 40 lb jinkai rubbing through the timber and said to Andy im gone...i leant back with steady preasure,then eased off a little, the leader came free and i came up tight on a nice fish...slugging down deep i think he expended most of his energy in the initial struggle he popped up and into the net..The leader was a disgrace,more luck than good management,but he was in the boat...i was stoked. A few quick snaps and he was sent back over the side..

closeupjackpaul.jpg
    Up close and personal

jackpaul.jpg
    Another shot

dippyprawnstar.jpg
    Dippy prawnstar original size

With some good natured ribbing between us both we had a few more casts and changed spots. We tried a few spots,to no avail,so decided to head to a productive spot further downstream. As we rounded a corner,before we arrived at the chosen spot,Andy spotted a few tarpon rolling along a current line,so begged to stop... He chose some mini prawn thing he snookered off Roo and The missus during lasts weekends holiday weekend at boonooroo( i think there may have been a few drinks involved,when andy aquired these lures..) Any way out goes the little lure on a 1/16th tt no.2 jighead i think..we drifted down a bit then andy says i got a "tap". yea yea i said..then i looked round to see the 2 kg squidgy spin buckled over nearly double,the penn applause 2000 squealing as the 10 lb briad spewed off the spool.
    aa.jpg
    Andy in battle

A few more minutes,and a couple runs...
    js4.jpg

js5.jpg
    a few splashes..andy getting a little jittery...and this fella slides into the net..a good effort on that gear i thought

fulljack.jpg
    Red fish

andyrodin mouth.jpg
    He was hungry ..But happy

jackinwater.jpg
    Released...

prawnlurething.jpg
    Stupid prawn lure...Priestleys have got a lot to answer for...

After the release we moved to the other spot..saw a few fish busting up,so i picked up the egrell b4/6 tied on a small gold bomber and popped a cast into the snags...and this fiesty little fella climbed all over my offering

barrasleepy.jpg

Hmm..no comment!!

barraswim.jpg

On his way

a quick happy snap and he was on his way...
    All in all a great sunday arvo session,even managed a couple of beers...
    Just awesome...Thanks Andy for the company...

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff guys...can i ask you a question ? did you get your Jack hard up on the mangroves or out a distance from the edge?
    and were you going along the bottom with the plastic?

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like and afternoon well spent! Good work boys!
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul..mine was pretty hard up,on a landslide..andys was a fair way out,on some rubble...on a current line..

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Andy's Jack on the ultralight is brilliant work, well done champ!It's always more fun on the cotton eh?!
    Your fish are ok too Paul.

What did the fish measure mate?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work boys. Theres too many places to fish in that joint. Lucky buggers..... Haven't had a look up the cherwell yet. Is it as good as the other creeks mate?

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like a preety good arvo to me boys, some good fish there

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

nice couple o fish there sr and jr chewy...was up there last weekend, but unfortunatly workin all weekend, and a few in the pub of course...had a quick look at the river, and will be back on day soon....nice fish..
    deano..

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Chew's!! Those prawn things came free with a mag about 2 years ago and have been kickin around ever since. Should've got around to tying one on
    We'll be back to visit soon and hopefully leave the shitty weather behind.
    Cheers Kim.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Those "prawn things" are a Timber Wolf product.

Very nice Jack Andy, well done.

Jeff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast