Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise Jack

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Surprise Jack

Hi Guys, some of the guys know i am a pretty keen whiting fisherman but when your fishing anything can happen and it did last night in the Nerang.

Whiting fishing on a sandbank with a 1 to 3 kg 6 foot spin rod, 6lb mono a 4 ball sinker and a short shank no4 whiting hook with blood worms for bait when all hell broke loose and this thing hit.

43 cm Jack, 1 lucky angler, 1 unlucky fish however after some quick photos his luck changed and he was released, hope he changes his ways most whiting fishermen are not known for catch and release. cheers wayne.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Youngy, Bet that pulled harder than a whiting

Dids

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate thats awesome...bet he thought all his xmas's had come at once wen you relaesed him...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Bet you though that xmas came early...nice by catch, and nice first post.
    Welcome to Active Angler.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, Dids i am sorry mate i can't agree about the fighting ability of a jack over a whiting.

A jack is a tough dirty fighter but once you get him away from his home they give up pretty easy and come to the boat.

Big whiting and i am talking big like in the photo fight harder the closer you get them to the boat, this one was caught on 6lb mono, no drag in 5 meters of fast running water, i know i am bias but they are a bullet with fins. cheers wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the pound for pound fighter arguement again........?

I bet that 43cm model went off on the rod with that light drag setting, ha ha. Gee youngy, your getting a few jacks this season. maybe the fish are getting you confused with me? Im sure youre near some of my old spots.

Nice to see you found Active Angler, its one of the more friendly forums. Welcome.

cheers
    Andrew

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, love those whiting and that is a top fish in the photo.Great fun to catch and great on the plate.No jacks in our area so I can't compare but the whiting certainly go hard, specially on light gear and they don't like leaving the bottom.
    Cheers,Mick.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

On ya youngy. Bet the whiting were feeling a bit uneasy with that fella cruisin round their bank.
    Cheers. Keith

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by youngy View Post
    Thanks Guys, Dids i am sorry mate i can't agree about the fighting ability of a jack over a whiting.

A jack is a tough dirty fighter but once you get him away from his home they give up pretty easy and come to the boat.

Big whiting and i am talking big like in the photo fight harder the closer you get them to the boat, this one was caught on 6lb mono, no drag in 5 meters of fast running water, i know i am bias but they are a bullet with fins. cheers wayne
    Yeah your probably right Youngy.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Keith, i was wondering why we couldn't even get a bite for the 15 minutes before we landed the jack, and after we released him it did not improve we had to find another spot.

It was probably his regular change of tide swim around the sandbank and see how many whiting he could eat.

Didley, there is still not a better fish than a jack for that first 15 second tug of war, they are certainly something special.

Andrew thanks for the heads up for this site mate, i didn't know you fished the Nerang i thought you were a Coomera man.

Hope everyone has a good holiday period be safe and enjoy yourself. cheers wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast