Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surprise Jack

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez Youngy..i wish i could stay connected to a jack for 15 seconds..my last two encounters lasted roughly two...not at all helped by the peanut gallery falling over laughing at my misfortune and braid waving loosly in the breeze...

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Know what you mean, the better the mate the funnier it seems to them. cheers wayne.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by youngy View Post
    Andrew thanks for the heads up for this site mate, i didn't know you fished the Nerang i thought you were a Coomera man.
    Thats because I didnt tell many people, and certainly would discuss my spots on a big website, but its seen by a lot less people here, so I dont mind now. people on this site already have their own spots.

The stretch from Isle of Capri to monaco st used to be my main jack haunt when the coomera was not firing. Am I getting close to your spot?

The main river itself comes alive at night when the boat traffic dies, and the rock walls hold plenty of jacks. Ive also fished the chevron is bridge, TSS walls, sundale bridge, Tiki village wharf, and even found a nice natrual cliff face up at Ashmore. I never got to fish Bartinon rocks tho, cos I couldnt go past Monaco st without chucking a line in, ha ha. Even the Nerang M1 bridge holds jacks.

A lot of people dont realise Emerald Lakes development at carrara holds fish, cos it has an underground pipe to the main river. Thats gonna hold some stonkers in a year or so. You can fish it legallly if you use electric motor only. The security guards were very surprised to see me using the ramp at 1am tho.

So you could say I know the nerang river pretty well. Maybe not as well as you tho, but thats an age issue, lol. You have an advantage on me there youngy.

merry christmas all.

cheers
    ANdrew

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

From my experiences all except one decent 55cm Jack I have seen hooked on light stuff have fought fairly average. I had a 45cm fish at the boat in less then a minute after a 1-2m run on 2lb a couple of years ago. It was called for a Flathead.

Around the same time also got a 42cm fish on 2lb braid, 6lb leader. Same deal. Along with a few sub 30cm fish, hardly count as Jacks though.

Since expanding from Bream fishing a couple of years back fishing with heavy gear seems to get the most out of even small Jacks. A mate of mine got a 37cm fish on 20-20 that pulled surprisingly well for its size. Also seen plenty around that average size of 40-45cm go great on heavier stuff.

Weird and wonderful catch though. Any Jack's a good Jack.

Troy

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with ya Troy,

50cm and over they go hard.

Wayne thats a massive whiting..!!!!!

Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12