Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sydney Harbour friday arvo session

Hi all,

Been busy with work lately which has not allowed me a fishing session so when I had a earlier finish on Friday I took the chance and hooked the boat up for a arvo fish on the harbour solo.

Launched in on the parra river and ran up towards the harbour with a few boats on the water and the parra ferries roaring up and down the river. The tide seemed to be incoming as I passes a few bridge pylons which directed me towards heading up near the harbour bridge looking for clean water.

Riggin up I found out that in my haste to get out there I had forgot my plastics lure bag and after a quick scrummage had found 3 gulp prawns and a pack of squidgy bugs.arhh!!! Looks like the day of the hardbodies!!!

I did a bit off exploring and a few speculator casts as some structure for nothing before popping over to the tripod marker that I was busted off on last trip. Sitting in 25ft of water I cast in a squidgy bug and sunk it down before shaking it back to the boat with a rat kingy on its tail. A few more casts and a blade thrown in could not tempt the kingy back but at least I know what busted me off a few weeks ago.

Headed closer to the harbour bridge and found a great looking bit of structure, a broken and disused wharf that was heavily rotted and unstable. I could see broken posts just below the water and saw a skip of a prawn being attacked so on went my last gulp prawn and a strike pro shrimp suspending hardbodie.

I could see bream swimming around and just kept vesting up under the shaded area and slowly working the strike pro out. Half way back to the boat I felt a tap and set the hook and pulled hard to pull the fish from the barnacle encrusted poles. Once clear the bream pulled hard trying to get back home to his home but after a bit of rod work the bream was in the boat.

It was a solid bream of 40cm and my pb on hardbodies since moving here. I stayed in the area but with the wash from the constant ferries coming past every few minutes I headed around the back of the structure and worked the gulp.

Casting to a flat board that was broken and working parallel of the structure I was smacked by something unknown which took no time to snap me off. There goes another plastic.

After seeing a few jackets and losing a heap of tails, actually was down to my last plastic, a gulp shrimp. I cast up current on a single pole which had some movement around it and instantly came tight to a nice bream.

Check out those teeth!!!

Fished down the wharf and into a newer wharf structure and could see little bonito swimming around. The blade didn’t get them excited and were feeding on something very small. As the blade hit the bottom and a hop of the bottom I was smacked by a nice flattie, my first on a blade.

It was getting late and home made pizza was calling me home so decided to leave the area and head home. The sun was setting and I was happy with finding some new productive areas and explored a few more on the way home.

Cheers

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

happy what was the hardbody you were using? keen to get down there at chrissy for a bream bash..

cheers
    kh

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kurt,

here is a pic of the strike pro shrimp. Colour 346G looks so natuaral.

When the prawns are on its deadly but also love my viking crank minnows as well(Site sponsor).Also attached pic of them

If I am here at chrisi time I would be more than happy to take you for a spin and snag a few bream. Should have them sussed and a few locations figured out.

Cheers

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

happy
    used the strike pro lures around gladstone here for some excellent results. well done and i will let you know if im down. i will have my boat and always looking for some more balast.

cheeers

kh

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

G'day mate.

Good to see that ya getting onto a few fish down there and having a good look around out on the water.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Roo,

Good to hear from you mate. how is townsville going after all that rain. Your fav barra spot should off fired.

Keep in touch mate.

Cheers

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmour View Post
    Hi Roo,

Good to hear from you mate. how is townsville going after all that rain. Your fav barra spot should off fired.

Keep in touch mate.

Cheers
    Unfortnately work has really got in the way of fishing so far this year......boat hasn't seen water since early January. I only arrived back home a week ago but now the wife is away with her work! Hopefully I will be able to get out this Wednesday and really blow the cobwebs out of my fly gear.

Cheers,
    Roo.