Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Burrum is back in business

I havent seen a jack round here since the firrst week of january, but I heard a rumour that they were starting to show up around the bottom of fraser island. I hit the burrum well before dawn and anchored up at my favourite spot with mullet strips, but all I got was undersize crabs and pike eels. About dawn the tide slowed at high tide, and I nailed the first jack going 43cm. I upped the size of the bait to a whole fillet, and nailed the second jack half an hour later, he went 41cm. I kept em both for the table, as the missus has been complaining I havent brought anything home for a while, and why is she married to a so called fisherman, lol.

Nice to see the river healthy again, and it was a surprise to see jacks back in town this time of year. There were fish boofin all over the river at 4 am, which I assumne were barra. At one stage there was more than a dozen boofs all with 50-100m as the prawns got up the banks towards the mangroves. I was feeling to laxy to up anchor and chase em with the electric, but maybe next session I will try that.

cheers
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm real happy for you getting those Jacks, and that you finally gave into the pressure of providing a feed for your family....but we truly are 'hunters & gatherers'
    Keep in mind that those two Jacks wont go too far, and that you'll soon be back out there again searching for another feed.....Just remember that its your job!

Did you get any pictures of the Pike Eels?
    Well done.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I get a lot of eels when I fish woth mullet. I dont bring pike eels into the boat.......my grandad taught me 'they havent yet built a boat big enough to hold a man and a pike eel!!'.

I cut the line and rerig every time. The pike eel was over 2 m long, he went for a run that got me a bit excited with 30lb braid and tight drag, but after his initial run, he just weighs down the line, and comes slinking home with no fight. His head and neck were about as thick as the jack, he was fairly big around the throat too.

you can keep em.

saw some pictures on AF of the wounds where a guy let one into the boat. not pleasant.

I usaully bring cod home for the missus when I get some, but you gotta bring something home and earn a leave pass every so often. Im about half keep and half release, but I rarely discuss it cos it starts so many heartfelt 'discussions'. Maybe we are a bit more mature here?

cheers
    Andrew

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Andrew,more than likely the boofs were trevally,they are in plague proportions up there atm,along with some big queenies. They might have been barra,but they normally start to quiet down on the surface by now, in my experience anyhow.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, they could well have been trevors, you might be right chewy.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice jacks mate, and yes, your entitled to take a feed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice couple of fish there Andrew. Will be up there at Christmas this year so will be looking for a few spots to have a flick. We have had a steady run of Jacks down here this year, and with a couple of new reliable spots we are hoping they carry on for a month or two yet.

It is amazing how different in shape those two Jacks are, especially around the head.

Marty