Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inskip Point / Rainbow beach

Hi AA members.
    Going to inskip point/Rainbow beach this weekend to camp for a couple of nites and chase some salty friends. Yeah I know I just got back from Mondy, but hey they won't catch themselves, so someone has to do it.

Never fished this area before and I am looking for some advice on where, how e.g. (bait or lure) and what to expect to catch this time of year. Any tips, tricks or magical lotions, potions or G P S markswould be greatly appreciated.

If you don't want the world to know you can PM me. Promise I wont blab.

Thanks in advance
    Tight lines & screamin' reels
    Garry

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you chasing estuary species mate or looking to go offshore???
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chewy, inside of inskip point mate wont be going offshore. So the sheltered waters. Only got a 445 hornet.

Thanks Garry

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

OK ill do up a brief rundown of what i know tonight...bear with me..got a bit on..lol
    Chewy....

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chewy, look forward to report
    Garry

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope this helps

HI mate, I dont fish down there heaps, but might be able to give you a bit of an idea about the place. Looks like the weekend you will have mild sou westers which is pretty common for this time of year so over the island side may be a little uncomfortable,but if not,just north of where the barges hit the island its worth a soft plastic along the deep drop off for cod,goldies and maybe a squire.Hopefully the map i'v posted helps,though these are just general areas. The summer whiting are just coming on in force,and its best to target them two hours either side of low tide at any drain/gutter mouth that drains the sand flats.Dont be afraid to fish 20cm water and the same spots for flatties, as nearly every drain will hold a few flatties at this time of year just as the tide starts to come in,we use small bombers mostly,as well as snapbacks rigged on a 1/4 oz 5/0 tt jighead. This plastic also doubles as a decent golden trevally lure. There are also a fair few tailor getting around now,and iv marked a popular spot on the map,but just keep your eyes peeled as they might be up chopping. Squid are just puting in an appearance,so keep your eyes peeled. Bream should just about be everywhere down there but the size might leave a bit to be desired. With the small tides on the weekend if i had to point you at something,id try for flatties and squid,as both like the smaller tides,as well as a few tailor.Like a said,the flatties should be pretty thick,and id be targetting the drain mouths on the last of the run out and first of the run in tide.If you jump on google earth,just check out the flats,to get an idea of where some of the drains are,but they dont need to be mush of one to hold a few flatties,just keep an eye out for bait showering in the shallows and normally they will be flathead. Any specific questions just ask,and ill do my best to answer...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chewy....

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chewy, more than enough info for a two day jaunt. Very much appreciated. Should be able to smack a few and hopefully post some pics. Better dust off the estuary lure boxes and tune up the spin gear.

Cheers, Garry

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Our last report on the "Variety" in the bay was from down that way - quite a few nice longtails around the barge area & the bluff on Fraser side is always worth a look on the flats for bream,whiting & flatties as well

The weather has been great lately too - Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scotto, Every little bit helps.
    Just wandering how do you go about chasing those longtails

Garry
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackle_buster View Post
    Thanks Scotto, Every little bit helps.
    Just wandering how do you go about chasing those longtails

Garry
    5" pink Snap backs on TT 5/0 1/2 oz heads - glue the tails onto the jig head using Sellys quick tight from woolies

If they appear to be flighty & going down every time you come up on a school & then appear a few hundred meters away - be patient & stay where the first lot went down as they will generally pop up again in the same area.

Usually after you have just left in pursuit of the frothing mass that will go down as soon as you leave the first patch
    Regards Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast