Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tin Can To Ungowa

Put my mate petes poly in at tin can and made the long run up the straits with the intention of fishing around german creek and ungowa on sat morning for a coupla nights. Had a fairly heavy load with spare fuel, sherberts, fishing gear and some more sherberts. Plan was to nail some tuna round inskip on the way through, but all was quiet when we arrived there around 7am. A few birds towards the bar, but it was ordinary out there with a decent SW wind already blowing. Kept going and had a fish around stewart island hoping it would warm up a little, cause it was bloody cold on the move. Got a few little flatties and breambos casting plastics around some of the smaller creeks and got our first look at german creek around 9am. Found a great camp site in there and got a little fire going to cook up a quick feed. (because I forgot the cooker) Shot off up the creek for a look on the first of the run out tide until it shallowed up and fished our way ou casting at the shallow gutters and steep banks. Found a big drop off that signalled the start of a deep stretch and spotted plenty of bait and the odd decent arch on the sounder. Started with a couple of plastics like flick baits and prongs and slowly built the species count, but it was a bit slow. Tied on one of the blades I've been making lately and immediately got into a stack of fish. Nothing too big, but plenty of variety. Jew, moses, flatties, cod, whiting, bream and a tailor. Pete was still doing it tough, but also got into the action once he put one on. Mucked around in the creek for a while longer and slowly cruised out of the narrow gutter at the bottom of the tide and shot over to ungowa for the tide change. Plenty of tailor and wolf herring showering bait everywhere and they were happy to eat blades, slugs and plastics. Also managed a squid on a plastic down deep that went into the esky. After getting sick of the wolf herring and a dropped mackerel next to the boat, we tied on some divers and had a troll in hope of a barra or jack. Got some more wolfies, a few cod and a little squire and missed two really good hits that pulled hooks. A lot of activity around that place. Went back to camp just on dark as it was getting cold and had plenty of beers with a few older fellas from maryborough an hervey bay. Woke the next morning to a could southerly blowing up the creek and had a quick fish in the holes at the mouth of the creek for a little moses perch. Decided to pull the pin and head home early, as the weather was turning to shit with rain over fraser island. Took a bloody long time to get home, as the 25kt southerly was against the tide making things interesting at times. Ended up covering around 120km for the trip and only burned about 50 litres of juice, which was pretty good considering we were heavily loaded the whole time. Petes poly is 4.1 with a 40 yammy 4 stroke. Managed 13 species, including bar tail flatty, dusky flatty, gold spot cod, squid, bream, whiting, tailor, wolfies, jewies, moses perch, squire, one very tiny flounder and one I can't remember? Not many decent fish amongst them, but it was all fun on the light gear and I was happy the blades performed so well. Now I've just gotta start painting them. Will prob just drive to river heads or maroom next time to launch. Once is enough for a trip that long and Im still hurting from the ride back.
    Cheers. Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work boys, it's a great looking area around Ungowa.

Did you troll one of those Wolfies around?

What happened to Pete's left wrist Keith?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good trip..except the forgotten cooker...lol..we had planned to head round but the wind put us off..Good to see ungowa still throwing up a few fish....hopefully ill get a shot at them next weekend...good to see the blades snaring some fish as well.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

The blades killed em chewy. Good lure to cover a heap of ground quickly with too.
    Fejj-Yeah have caught all sorts at ungowa mate. Lots of potential. Rang got more tatts the day before we left so had to keep em covered. Def wasn't an issue having a jumper on all day.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Every winter we used to get heaps of the ribbon fish here. Havent seen em for years. Great baits!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Get up there jeffo. The bastards were thick! Dirty slimy things too....

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

they sure are slimy and them tiny scales get allover yah when handling. I got my first last week on a ZipBaits ZBL popper, great fun on popper!

It must be a top feeling catching fish on your home made blades, well done!

I haven't used my blades for what seems like ages but I love 'em...
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good trip cv, Ive been doing river heads lately too. Ive been exploring the mary up to beaver rock, and the susan up to 5 ways. Been getting the same species as you, just no size to em lately. Cod to 55cm and jew to 55 have been the tops, and thats pretty poor. Barra and jack have been in hiding.

Yup, cold tsarts at dawn, Ive invested in some ski gear now.

Noice blades mate. What colors are you gonna paint em?

Let me know if you do any early Sat Am starts at River Heads, I'll put my boat in too.

Is that a xxxx can at breaky time in the wolfherring shot, lol?

cheers
    Andrew

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey gecko. Hopefully be back up that way in a week or two. Gonna fish mainly around riv heads though this time where there is some more structure. Got 8 colours to paint them mate. Just gotta sort out a decent air brush. Bought a cheap one but can only get it to spray water. Must be a fine line, cause the paint is really thin anyway. Bloody frustrating. Thats an arvo can mate.
    Cheers. Keith

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Ungowa... does that bring back some great memories...
    I need less fishing gear and more fish....