Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunshine Coast Barramundi

Another Barramundi was caught on the Sunshine Coast a couple of weeks ago.

I was having a few ales with some friends last night who are also keen fisho's when I was informed that a 125cm Barra was caught in a well known Sunshine Coast river. This was confirmed by one of my mates piking up to tell me he saw the fish on Steve Dingles fishing reports on Win News.

I don't know of the circumstances but unfortunately, I believe the fish was taken. This is the 4th confirmed Barra that I know of that has been captured on the coast this year. Maybe they are venturing further south from their breeding grounds of the Mary River at Maryborough.

If you do happen to catch a trophy fish like this one on the coast be aware of size limits and closed seasons to take these fish as Barra at this size are definately breeding females and how good would it be to maybe establish a breeding population this far south.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/...idalWaters.pdf

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3055.htm

Congratulations to the angler, well done!

Cheers Dave

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

Thats a nice fish, make it a bit closer to your place to catch a good barra.

Trev

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave if it was in the Maroochy river it probably came out of Marshall Lagoons,there has been a number of barra bass saratoga and silver perch stocked in there over the years and quite a few have been lost to floods,The owner gave me permission to fish it many years ago but lets no one else in there to fish there was some good fish there back then there has also been some ilegal stocking in Ewen Maddock in the past apparently.
    Hope the stocking group is going well for you and your making some headway with the council,is Cal Aqua still running the show?

Paul

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

was taken trolling hard body's in the mooloolah river apparently.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Trev, it would be nice to get a few closer to home that's for sure.

Dave your right it was caught in the Mooloolah on hard bodies. Turns out I know of this fella who caught it and I believe he does put in the hours on the water. Nice reward for his efforts, no doubt.

Yeah Paul, It may well of come from Ewen Maddock as I did mention to you earlier this year I did see one on the dam taking more than likely a cicada as it hit the surface.

The Stocking group is coming along nicely thanks mate. I don't think we'll have the trouble you guys encountered. Got the go ahead from all parties involved. We have got all our legal formalities out of the road, 25 members and growing, website should be up and running soon, logo sorted, club shirts ready for ordering. All we need now is to buckle down and gather some sponsership and run some raffles to raise money to stock the dam which we have began to organise. Not bad I reckon for only 2 months work. The committee have been working hard.

Cheers Dave

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish, damned shame it was taken.. I do feel it is really selfish to keep such a rare catch.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Nice fish, damned shame it was taken.. I do feel it is really selfish to keep such a rare catch.
    As I stated in my first post, I don't know of the full circumstances.
    Last edited by Bracey; 05-07-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave well done to you and the others for getting it back up and running,is anyone stocking Baroon pkt these days?,we were called the Caloundr City Fish Stocking assoc back when I was involved in the both dams.

You should ask Cal Aqua for money for stocking as well as the Cal City Coucil as it is about tourism and they have certain amounts of dollars for these kind of things.

I got 2 grand out of Cal Aqua after a meeting with the guy that was running the show back then for native fish and stocked the toga they didn't like it but we had a permit for it so all was above board and you should be able to get DPI records and stock some more when the funds are available,they wanted bass but we thought a species that would breed in the lake and be self sustaining would be better value!!we stocked bass as well,do you ever see any gar in there?.

Do you encounter many toga now days?is it still paddle power only?or are they going to allow lecy motors,back then they said the lecy will chop up the weed and spread it but a paddle can do as much damage,with the head in the sand attitude we encountered towards fishing it all became too difficult.

Do you know if there is anyone eel traping the lake if not sugest it to them as they will eat fingerlings.
    I wish you guys all the best with it,that place has huge potential as a bass/toga fishery.

Paul

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dolan View Post
    Dave well done to you and the others for getting it back up and running,is anyone stocking Baroon pkt these days?,we were called the Caloundr City Fish Stocking assoc back when I was involved in the both dams.

Thanks Paul, another stocking group is stocking Baroon which is producing some great Bass, I haven't got any 50cm models up there yet but getting close. Our group is called Ewen Maddock Fish Management Inc.

You should ask Cal Aqua for money for stocking as well as the Cal City Coucil as it is about tourism and they have certain amounts of dollars for these kind of things.

Cal Aqua no longer exists with the SEQ Water board now owning the water and the surrounding area. They have encouraged us to stock the dam with fish which has been very uplifting as we now have the go ahead to stock although we do need to inform them of when we are stocking and amounts. I have just sent off to the council an application for a small grant. Fingers crossed they come through.

I got 2 grand out of Cal Aqua after a meeting with the guy that was running the show back then for native fish and stocked the toga they didn't like it but we had a permit for it so all was above board and you should be able to get DPI records and stock some more when the funds are available,they wanted bass but we thought a species that would breed in the lake and be self sustaining would be better value!!we stocked bass as well,do you ever see any gar in there?.

I haven't seen gar in there Paul, not to say they mighten be in there in very small numbers. I have all the old stocking records and your old management plans with proposed stocking numbers etc. along with a reseach report on the dam done in 2002 from the DPI & F.

Do you encounter many toga now days?is it still paddle power only?or are they going to allow lecy motors,back then they said the lecy will chop up the weed and spread it but a paddle can do as much damage,with the head in the sand attitude we encountered towards fishing it all became too difficult.

I saw plenty of toga in the summer months more so in the past few months. I've been trying to familiarise myself with the dam fishing it about once a week even though sometimes I'm land based. In the past couple of weeks I've been able to locate some big fish in schools on my fish finder but yet to find out what they are. Many been trolling deep divers as thats where they are hiding in about 20ft of water. I got another Toga about 2 months ago that was 65cm in length, went nuts as they do on the end of my line.

No lecy motors Paul, all paddle power.

Do you know if there is anyone eel traping the lake if not sugest it to them as they will eat fingerlings.

I'll check but I'd dare say no, thanks for the advice.

I wish you guys all the best with it,that place has huge potential as a bass/toga fishery.

Thanks mate, it has great potential as you already know.

Paul
    Cheers Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave, Is there still plenty of Yellas in there?
    We used to get a lot of big ones near the spillway.

Jeff.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast