Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wreck or Reef?

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wreck or Reef?

Hi! To all AA’s in the Hervey Bay area. I was having a fly around your area on Google Earth recently, having a look at all the potential fishing spots and came across what appears to be an interesting underwater structure. (I own a block of land in Tin Can Bay and may retire down your way next year! )

The location on Google Earth is LAT 24.931433⁰ South and LON 152.488185⁰ East. Just to the south of Elliott Heads there is a creek/small river flowing into the sea, on the northern side of the river is the village of Riverview. On the south side of the creek/river at the mouth there appears to be a long sea wall extending from the shore out to sea in a south easterly direction. The wreck or reef I spotted is located a short distance further east of the end of the wall at the position mentioned above.

Has anyone any knowledge of what is at this location? It may be a long lost Spanish Galleon loaded with ancient gold bars!! Or better still it might be a good place to fish!!!

Cheers Gilly.
    Gilly ex Top End now Sunshine Coast

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

HI gilly ill look into it further,but there is a fair few ships sunk in close there as part of an artificial reef system...id be pretty sure its one of them,i think there are 4 or 5 close in
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Chewy. Thanks for that. It could be an artificial reef. However it did look to be in one straight line, sort of like one piece. However it appears to be fairly large if it is one hull!

Cheers Gilly.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh..yea..most of the artificials off bundy are large ships..they put them in pretty close for the divers..illl have a look tonight and see if i can see which one it is..they sunk a new big one only twelve months ago..i seem to recall it might have been blue...bear with me ..ill see what i can find out..
    Chewy....

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had a look on the sand Gilly...if it is the same thing im lookinh at ,it would be out of water at low tide i think...But cant offer any ideas on what it is..i might go for a drive next time we are in bundy
    Chewy....

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chewy. The spot I looked at is definately in the sea to the east of the end of what looks like a long man made sea wall. It is in shallow, clear water, no idea of the depth but easily visable on Google so suspect it may be no more than 15 metres.
    I am running the latest version of google so the coordinates should get you very close to the same spot I am vewing especially if you are zoomed in not far from the surface!!

The more I think about it, it makes sense that it might be one of the larger artificial reefs you mentioned. Would be quite a large vessel though!

Gilly.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey mate,

Grew up in Bundy and remember hearing a few years ago that the Art Reef Committee were sinking a couple of the large light ships that use to be stationed at the leads. I think those light ships would be one of the larger things they sank out there. So could be one of them??

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Luke..yea..i found an article on the lightships..but they seem to be out further..I cant find yet where they sank the last two ship..im pretty sure one was 50 metres long..i cant believe there isnt more info on the net..
    Chewy....

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Luke and Chewy. The thing I am looking at is about 30 metres long. Actually it is probably about 50 metres to the north east tip of what looks like a man made sea wall.

Can see it easily on Google earth.

Gilly.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the image I think it may be a photographic anomaly because it would be too much of a navigation hazard to be legally sunk there in such shallow waters.

Jack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast