Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default alligator on fire

hi all
    had a few mates up from dubbo nsw for a look around, escape the cold and to see if he could catch some fish. we heading up to prossy river for a few nights chasing crabs and with some hard work managed to get three little barra out of the snags. next afternoon we headed to teemburra with a good stop a pinnicle pub for the must have pie and beverage.thankgod we did because the dam was dead.so we headed for home copping plenty of the boys about were are all the fish but i stood firm and give them a few of the good ones, water temp not right, wind blowwing wrong, sun on wrong side of hill,its election time,beers to hot.next morning one of the boys had to fly home so me and andrew thought we would try a different approach we left the boat at home grabbed the little 3kg spins and went for a walk on alligator creek.i,m bloody glad we did because what happend over the next 3hrs on the low tide was magic. we used small minows soft plastics and xrap 8,s to land 14 barra 1 king salmon 4 scalded cat tarpon and 2 flathead. was,t much size in the barra 63cm biggest but for mackay winter and the light gear it was a hell of a lot of fun. all returned to the water except the salmon i already had visions of fillets of him on the plate with a bowl of asian salad before he was landed and they never disapoint. attached are a few of the photos we took and also sent to our mate in the plane on his way home to rub a bit of salt into his wounds.
    cheers mattboys060.jpg

boys048.jpg

boys047.jpg

boys050.jpg

boys053.jpg

boys051.jpg

boys046.jpg

boys045-2.jpg

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez Matt..great little session...Love those skinny water trips...thanks for sharing..chewy..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Matt!

I see you caught them on an ebb tide.

Ya mate in the air would have bee spew'in.

Cheers Dave

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

that's awsome water to be plucking barra from, down here in hervey bay we would have to spend the whole day in a boat in SUMMER to even think about landing that many barra....top stuff guys well done

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Great fishing. That would have been a lot of fun.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bracey View Post
    Nice report Matt!

I see you caught them on an ebb tide.

Ya mate in the air would have bee spew'in.

Cheers Dave
    yeah he wasn,t happy i didn,t even now some of them words could be put into txt messages when he replied to the pictures we kept sending him haha
    cheers matt

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, your poor mate.
    Awesome LB session on the light stuff, well done.
    What retrieve did you use for the little x-wraps? Slow retrieve with stops and twitches?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adidaspeteman View Post
    Haha, your poor mate.
    Awesome LB session on the light stuff, well done.
    What retrieve did you use for the little x-wraps? Slow retrieve with stops and twitches?
    hi peter
    we used a double twitch with a slight pause, giving a longer pause if there was an inquiry which usually resulted in a solid hook up on the next twitch. it was a lot of fun not many casts went unoticed.
    cheers matt