Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roller Coaster fishing trip in the pumestone passage.

Hi AA's.

Some how scored an RDO today so I decided for seek a few flathead. I didn't get in the water until 11ish due to school drop offs and the wife taking my sunnies to her work (first down hill ride).

After launching the boat and head for a spot that I have never been before i notice the flat water has disappeared and has been replaced by 2foot chop and the wind blowing 15-20knts (second downer)

After around 20minutes my leccy motor comes to a halt. Battery flat, After hooking up a new battery all is good so the leccy issue was 2 dead batteries (downer and upper in one minute).

Ok leccy going great guns I turn to seek some BIG flatties. First cast taptap I'm on, then hang on a minute my good rod breaks about three eyes down from the tip. After hand lining a little flatty I had a few choice words to say I then picked myself up and grabbed the spare rod. Bang I'm on again, then slack line (should have checked the jighead knot as it looked like it had been dragging along the ground. BIG DOWNER.

After rerigging and swapping reels I'm now catching fish but nothing to brag about.A few hours had past when I decided to head for home with my tail between my legs, 5minutes from the ramp I couldn't help myself one last drift.

Second cast bang there's a familiar feel, hang on a minute this is big its staying deep and the wind is pushing me into the weed patch. With a bit of driving, patience and one armed netting I now have a new PB flattie of 72cm. ONE BIG UPPER

The gear that done the damage was my old raider bream finesse with 6lb braid, 10lb leader and a 5"fat grub in a redish belly and a greenish tail.

Once home I took the rod to my local and they will be replacing it as they cant see any damage from anything i had done.

I would like to thank Creek Vermin for his advice on chasing the BIG Girls.

neil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya Neil, good work mate.

He's a good man the 'ol Keithy, knows how to catch a fish or three too!

Jeff.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Neil, great when the passage fires up (like the morning after a good curry). It's one of my favorite places to fish, very under rated, but lets not tell anyone. We'll have to get together and get U addicted to jacks in a few months, you'll never be the same. CV might let us in on some red fish spots to try too, what da ya reckon Kieth

Cheers Dids

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep couldnt be happier with the advice from Keith. He seemed to be happy to answer the barrage of PMs sent to him.

If you want a decky for a jack trip I'm more than happy to learn how to catch these bad boys. Just may have to pull sick if work gets in the way.

Oh that prop is now starting to make a weird humming sound when under way now so a new prop is close than first thought.

neil