Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 6 specie afternoon

The Noosa River has been fishing pretty well of late, GT's, Tailor, Flatties and soapie Jew have been pretty regular catches.

I went out this arvo hoping to nail a feed of GT's. I got a couple, but the afternoon was a cracker with a wide variety of species caught.

I started off flicking for a Lizard. I netted two barely legal fish and dropped what I think was a good Flathead. It let go of the plastic. Oh well, as the tide was nearing the bottom, I hit up a favourite run out spot.
    There was mullet everywhere, they were thick, second cast with the popper I was on to a standard size GT of 40cm. fish 492 (Medium).jpg

Next cast got another a bit smaller then nothing for the next hour. Time to move.

I went around the corner to the outer Woods Bay over some rocky structure I found a few weeks back.
    I must have a thing with second casts as I come up tight to a nice fish. This thing had a bit of power, after a solid little fight I slid the net under a 52cm Cale Cale Trevally. Hook out and a couple of photos and he was swimming again.Cale Cale trevally 52cm (Medium).jpg

I threw out the 3" Atomic prong, bouncing it on the bottom, I had a small take and hooked up. Only a small fish but was happy to land a Pennantfish about 15cm long. They're a very pretty little fish, I got a couple of them a week ago also.
    fish 491 (Medium).jpg

Ten minutes went by when my 3" powerbait got nailed. I knew this fish was another trevally with it's tell tale head shakes, but it put in a couple of short sharp runs which was a bit different to the other fish caught. After a great little fight I was surprised to see a nice 44cm Longnose Trevally. Trevally specie number 3 for the arvo.
    fish 500 (Medium).jpg

This was turning out to be a good afternoon.
    I threw my lure back in the same spot and hooked up immediately.
    I naturally thought it would be another Longnose as it fought very similar with some solid runs and taking me on a cross country tour around the boat. I was stoked when I saw a 45 cm Diamond Trev in the net!
    fish 503 (Medium).jpg

I love Diamond Trevally, my favourite Trevally of all. Too valuable to keep, he was soon on his merry way. Trevally specie number 4!
    I was having a purple patch for sure.
    The 3" powerbait was hurled back in the water. This time on the drop it was smashed and a short run followed. Another cross country tour of the boat and yep, another Diamond! This one went 44cm! Happy boy was I.
    fish 506 (Medium).jpg

What a great afternoon.
    Very little boat traffic, light winds, great lookin water, 6 species caught, with 4 of them Trevally, a feed of GT, and plenty of satisfaction gained from catching and releasing the other fish caught. Love it!
    All fish caught on 4lb braid with 8lb fc leader, GT's caught on a Cultiva Gobo popper, the Pennantfish on a 3" Atomic Prong in Copper Fleck colour, The rest of the fish caught on my favourite sp, the 3" powerbait minnow in bloodworm.

Cheers, Jeff.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Jeff thanks mate, the area is fishing well, certainly bettter than when we had the Jackoff back in November.
    I might just have to drag the weary old body back up that way again soon.

Well done mate.

Cheers,
    John.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

quality and quantity !! fun session there jeff, thanks for the report. any larger size jew being taken in the noosa river lately that your aware of ?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Top fishing there Ffej, I'd love to get one of those diamonds.

Cheers mate

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one jeffo, sounds like a fun little mission....have to get up again soon...

deano..
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a bloody top arvo fresh one. Love the diamonds. Wish I could get em down here. nailed a longnose in the mooloolah one morning and geez the bastard pulled. Which trev you reckon pulls hardest? Quiet this arvo for me mate. No reds and barely a touch. Water is looking lively though. Won't be long now mate.....

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave08 View Post
    quality and quantity !! fun session there jeff, thanks for the report. any larger size jew being taken in the noosa river lately that your aware of ?
    Apparently on the full moon in June there were a couple of 10 kg fish caught, but other than that, they are mainly unders still, but won't be long until they're legals. Next winter for sure. The majority are pushing the 60 to 70cm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Top fishing there Ffej, I'd love to get one of those diamonds.

Cheers mate
    Well get your ar$e up here mate, they're here.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Vermin View Post
    Thats a bloody top arvo fresh one. Love the diamonds. Wish I could get em down here. nailed a longnose in the mooloolah one morning and geez the bastard pulled. Which trev you reckon pulls hardest? Quiet this arvo for me mate. No reds and barely a touch. Water is looking lively though. Won't be long now mate.....
    Which Trev pulls hardest?? Dunno, but I reckon pound for pound the Cale Cale or the Longnose would get the nod. Tealeafs go pretty hard to. They're all pretty similar as you know, Trevally are just great fish to catch.

I'll see if I can rustle up a Jack tomorrow. Heading up past Johns after I whack some more Trevs in the morn hopefully.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice little session there Jeff,

You might knock off a Jack....pretty warm 2day.

Pete

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow too, and it still July

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice session Jeff. There's no way you're going to see those species down here in Melbourne (if you end up moving) But at least you'll be closer to your beloved Tigers....things are looking better in Tiger land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast