Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing withdrawals

With work ruling my world and electric motor drama's waiting on parts it has been a month without fishing and the shakes,cold sweats and constant mind wondering about fishing had taken over.

Parts arrived from the states and a day off work had me on the water by 2ish for a quick arvo session. I had decided to head to new water trying out the new control board on the electric and giving the boat a whirl in need of some water.

I launched on the hawksbury at a new ramp spied from the highway and headed upstream to explore, throw a plastic and test the electric. The tide was falling and the current was surprisingly strong considering the river was over 300m wide in the section.

The optimax had hardly warmed up before i spied my first fishing location with a nice rocky edge with some weed and had the current ripping over it causing eddies and slack water with the odd gumtree branch in the water.

2nd cast with a 100mm wriggler in evil minnow and I came tight while working the lure in the slack water. Only small but a great start to my fishing return.

I tried fishing the area more but the constant current and strong winds had me exploring further upstram and looking for other area's to try. I was secretly hoping to find a post spawn bass or EP on the move. I travelled for about 5 km looking for some bankside snags out of the current but nothing was seen so plan B was to put into action and fished more rocky banks upstream.

Soon after a very timid tap was felt and the drag slipped and 4lb crystal entered the water. Another dusky hit the deck vitim to the wriggler.

A few more drifts and more exploring I hit the bank close to where I caught the last fish. The wind had dropped with the approaching sunset and flicked the wriggler hard up to the bank. A few metres from the bank the water dropped into 15 ft and rocky bottom. As the wriggler fell a solid hit and hookset had the drag singing and the best fish for the session was hooked. A spirited fight and my pb bream was landed.

Pics a bit dodgy as taken on my new phone.
    Hopefully my next fishing trip is a closer around the corner than this one.

Cheers

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow..some nice bream there aaron...makes the frustration of the motor worthwhile i hope..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul,

electric is like a new one. The new module comes with new speed rheostat and a new momentry switch. The old one was a push button switch but the new one is a magnetic unit and completly sealed so alot less failures compared to the old design in my eyes. Good to see minn kota improving designs over the years.

cheers

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing worse than 'cabin fever' happy.... Looks like you found the best medicine available!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Geezus Happy,

Off the water for a month????
    I end up fighting with the missus, kickin' the dog in the guts, abusing telemarketers BIG time, arguing with the TV and generally get real snakey and badass when I can't fish when I want.
    It's hard isn't it?? You've done well just to have the shakes and cold sweats!
    (I get them too).

Nice fish mate, well done.

Jeff.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

The wrigglers are still a top lure aren't they.
    Lovely breambo mate.
    Red

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Red@redmandesigns.com.au

FishLife Magazine - best mag around
    Red@fishlife.tv

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

You gotta get your fix brother, fishing keeps you ALIVE!
    Nice bream and flatties, that is what awaits me now that I am back from the NW.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...