Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 10/10/10 Cape Cleveland

Hi all

I am sure every one in the country can relate to this, you have been working yourself stupid, family commitments and bad weather resulting in far less fishing time then one can handle.

All of this finely got the better of me on Sunday the 10/10/10 so I made the commitment that I was going no matter what. Well as I am sure you can all guess the weather was horrendous for cast 20-25 knots but personally I think it was more like 30 knots. 2m seas in the bay fun stuff but I knew that I would be protected were I was heading so I just went for it.

I picked the boys up at 6am and headed down to the main boat ramp in Townsville knowing that I would be one of a very few crazy people to even think of going out. Not to mention actually go, we got to the ramp and as expected no one in sight and weather as I expected. I put the Barcrusher in the drink and prepared for a very rough 10 nautical mile ride over to our proposed fishing spot inside Cape Cleveland.

My intention is to fish the rocks along the coast line on the turn of the high tide for Jacks and Barra. The spot I am heading to had produced fish for me on every trip so far all of 2 previous trips. The bay crossing was as expected rough but the boat dose nothing short of destroy this kind of conditions so we had no trouble and a surprisingly dry ride.

Once at the spot we used the electric to cruse up and down casting into the wash around the rocks. One of the boys got a nice 61cm barra 10 minutes before high tide. Ones the tide turned so did the wind which was now blowing along the coast and making it imposable to hold position with ease. After half an hour of this we decided as the wind was increasing and the return trip looking worse and worse we would head back.

Nothing beats a Barcrusher for ride in bad seas even in the conditions we experienced I was able to travel at 19-21 knots comfortably and safely and return home very dry given it is a completely open boat. To give you an idea of the seas I got the prop out of the water 3 times but yet the ride was great no banging other then when we dropped off a steep wave straight into another one.

Barcrushers rule.
    Attached Images Attached Images