Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 10/10/10 Cape Cleveland

Hi all

I am sure every one in the country can relate to this, you have been working yourself stupid, family commitments and bad weather resulting in far less fishing time then one can handle.

All of this finely got the better of me on Sunday the 10/10/10 so I made the commitment that I was going no matter what. Well as I am sure you can all guess the weather was horrendous for cast 20-25 knots but personally I think it was more like 30 knots. 2m seas in the bay fun stuff but I knew that I would be protected were I was heading so I just went for it.

I picked the boys up at 6am and headed down to the main boat ramp in Townsville knowing that I would be one of a very few crazy people to even think of going out. Not to mention actually go, we got to the ramp and as expected no one in sight and weather as I expected. I put the Barcrusher in the drink and prepared for a very rough 10 nautical mile ride over to our proposed fishing spot inside Cape Cleveland.

My intention is to fish the rocks along the coast line on the turn of the high tide for Jacks and Barra. The spot I am heading to had produced fish for me on every trip so far all of 2 previous trips. The bay crossing was as expected rough but the boat dose nothing short of destroy this kind of conditions so we had no trouble and a surprisingly dry ride.

Once at the spot we used the electric to cruse up and down casting into the wash around the rocks. One of the boys got a nice 61cm barra 10 minutes before high tide. Ones the tide turned so did the wind which was now blowing along the coast and making it imposable to hold position with ease. After half an hour of this we decided as the wind was increasing and the return trip looking worse and worse we would head back.

Nothing beats a Barcrusher for ride in bad seas even in the conditions we experienced I was able to travel at 19-21 knots comfortably and safely and return home very dry given it is a completely open boat. To give you an idea of the seas I got the prop out of the water 3 times but yet the ride was great no banging other then when we dropped off a steep wave straight into another one.

Barcrushers rule.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on ya for giving it a crack anyway mate. I know the way it is and trying to find time these days for a fish is a bit harder than it use to be. When you do finally have the time, the weather is craphouse. Nice barra anyways and real nice scenery too. Good job

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris,

That is my favourite barra spot in Townsville and looking at the pics made me drool while sitting down here in Sydney. You keep good company and got Jase out there too hey!!

I preferred the top of tide and falling tide to fish the area as the bait starts coming off the vast flats and travel around the points where the barra would lie up and ambush. The barcrusher would draw a bit more water than mine but.

Father in law has the 560XT up in Darwin and its a sweet riding boat for sure and eats up the chop.

At least you got out and wet a line!!

Cheers

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aaron

It is a great spot, Jason is a fantastic bloke he showed me all that area to start with at the start of the year. Jason also now works for me now running Opposite Lock.

As for the Barcrusher it only draws 500mm of water so its not to bad given every thing else it can do. Just need to take it for a run up to Cattel Creek some time before we get to much fresh in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris,

I was at the store when Jason left Protackle and headed over to you at Opposite lock. Will have to pop in and say hello when I am up there with work on the 22 Nov-7Dec.

Looking forward to fishing if I get some time off!

Poke Jason in the ribs for me

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris,
    I've often drooled over the Barcrusher's up here at Boat Scene and wondered if they stood up to the hype. I've had reports from plenty about how good they are but never managed to get my bum in one. I posted just the other day about seeing one coming in from Arlington Reef off Cairns. I was out in the channel trialling our ship, the wind was constant 25 -30 Kts with the odd gust to 35. I think it was a 640C and it didn't look at all bothered about the shit conditions. Actually it made some Game boats coming in look rather ordinary. Now just to convince the Minister of Finance aka WIFE, to aprove an upgrade!
    Cheers,
    Dusty

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Dusty

let me tell you if you can buy one do it i am very picky about my gear and it dose not take much for me to get a bad tast in the mouth if i pay alot for something and it dose not live up to expectation. With this boat i cant falt it in any way at all and it is almost 12 months old now.

I have seen nothing in the market come close to a Barcrusher.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Chris, I'm the same. Will tell anyone who'll listen about good buys regardless of cost. Still a long way off a Barcrusher though, four rugrats, 1 1/2 incomes, equals tight budget!