Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack fishos?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack fishos?

I'm still waiting for the start of the Jack season proper. I'm not fishing regularly yet because there doesn't seem to be the fish yet. I’m fishing once every 2 or 3 weeks.
    I had a small effort on Friday afternoon/night, on the north side of Brisbane that ended early due to dead water. I was up a creek and all the bait was down the mouth.
    Questions
    1) Is every one having a slow start, I know the fish are out there, but they are quite aren’t they? Every where I’ve been there is no surface boofs!
    2) Is this the same problem the Mondy boys are having?
    3) Is it temperature, it’s certainly an odd start to summer?
    4) Do I just need to get out there more? I know the answer to this one.

Cheers Dids

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Did's, can only speak for the deep south jack Fishoes but here it has been a pretty slow start. A number of issues, cuppla minor floods, no stability on the weather, I blame La Nina, and most of all no humidity or afternoon storm activity getting the barometer on the rise.
    Having said all that, i have only been a couple of times myself, as u know we cannot use cast nets so if we are livey fishing the tides have to be right.
    Hoping this will change cause I have a few different places I want to try this season.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know much about jacks but im sure having slow start to any sort of fishing at the moment, only thing i can think of is the crazy sorta weather we have had, lots of rain and temps barely reaching 29 and its almost bloody December! My only guess could be weather?
    Ben
    Ben..

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as Pete said the combo of the big flush outs and weather, but maybe I'm just not trying hard enough, well I know I'm not! I like to think when they do come on, they'll really come on, but I think I'm dreamin.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well its not a bad dream
    Ben..

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh Im blaming the very unseasonal rain up hrere in Mackay thats for sure. Lots of flooding, dirty water...not to mention the fact we have barely had a sunny day in 3 weeks to get the temp up a bit. I'm sure they will come dids, keep persisting

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Dids it has been slow but the fish are there.
    I haven't fished since the JO, but I was getting a few prior to that.
    As you know, winter up here was like a winter we've never had before, Jack speaking. There was heaps caught. Most accidental , some targetted.

The Jacks caught in winter here on lures were nearly all caught on 1 specific lure fished a particular way. I've caught 2 so far this year using this lure and method.
    These winter Jacks were also caught closer to the river mouth rather than upstream.
    It is still the case now.
    I reckon with the heavy rains we've had, it pushed all the bait to the mouth area, this combined with the fresh tidal flushes has kept the Jacks in close proximity to the mouth area, give or take a kilometer or two. The tidal flushes has kept the temp relatively stable as well, whereas up the creeks, you've got hot and cold spots, low salinity areas and less bait.

We need northerlies, (where are the northerlies?) to heat things up a bit and a bit of regularity in the water condition I reckon, then it's game on.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, been a slow start. Ive caught zero at my usual spots over Aug-Sep. Since Ive moved house in Oct, I havent targetted em, been busy trying to land threadies. Im still not on the board for jacks this season. Usually, Id be up to about 9 or 10 for late Nov.

I reckon its La Nina patterns.

Theres a 65 on AF claiming to be caught in a GC river. Thats makes 2 bigger than usual already this year, but I agree, the volumes not there for the normal number of captures.

Then again it could just be you dids.......

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Theres a 65 on AF claiming to be caught in a GC river. .
    As you are aware, you can catch anything in the Seaway!!

Marlin have been hooked there.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

wow a Marlin in there? nice!!
    Ben..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast