Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jack fishos?

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with fejjys thoughts. Look for higher salinity near the mouths, and dont worry about visibilty. The baitfish will be at the mouths.

I still think everyones underrated the el nino effect of temp changes in offshore currents.The slightly lower water temps in the rivers, means that the feeding triggers have not yet started in the mature jacks. I reckon they slow down their metabolic rate and dont need to feed as often. If Im right, we will see more smaller jacks caught in the 35-45cm range as the water temp improves, as the smaller fish need to feed more often to sustain growth rates. The bigger fish dont need to feed as often. The only way to entice these dormant big boys to play, is to get a reaction bite when something is right in front of his nose, so lures might win out over bait, for a change?

So I reckon jacks are still sitting in thier usual hangouts, they just arent hungry.
    Just a theory.

cheers
    Andrew

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your right gecko, the jacks are nothing short of ' lazy and larthargic so far' , I've caught two jacks since november both a peasent 30-38 cm. hows everyone else fairing at the moment ? need the 50+ models to come out and play

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing around Maroochydore since my baby jack on the popper.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught a 40cm model in the cast net the other night, but missed out using livies in the passage......... Caught a few in September but nothing since......At least with all the rain it would have reduced the amout of tourist fishing pressure on them....It will return to normal eventually.
    Ben

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

outeredge ,I hope your right mate been really hot last few days so hopefully clears up the water and heats up nicely again, I used to live in Buderim, beautiful lil town.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Straits might be quiet for a bit then will fire, i havent had the boat in but the water was too cold for me to swim in the straits on the weekend,yet the ocean was warm as..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spaded View Post
    outeredge ,I hope your right mate been really hot last few days so hopefully clears up the water and heats up nicely again, I used to live in Buderim, beautiful lil town.
    Hey mate.
    I have travelled the whole way around OZ and now live in Buderim...Pretty magic spot.....close to plenty of great fishing spots also...
    Cheers
    Ben

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a read through this thread and must admit that the amount of information that I picked is invaluable. Some may be theories but yet they answered alot of doubts and queries that I have. Have been addicted to jack fishing and only recently found some success in the GC canals. Yet to land a red but dropped a very good size right at the feet. Just have to keep going

Thanks for sharing everyone.
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678