Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jack fishos?

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Thanks Pete, is this the one? price looks OK too.

http://reelfishingdeals.com/shop/pro...8f7dc5e8c4fb17

Pete 62 and Pistol Pete, I was looking at them too....The baitcaster version is also extremely sweet...NAGG has one, about 6.2oz...thats about the same as your curado 50???? and packs 10 kg or something drag. Very nice looking reels..About $250.

Cheers Steve

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

My only grip with the Patriarch baitcaster, it's tough to keep clean.. I should have wiped mine down before this shot.

Yes, extremely nice reels.. I would sooner chuck my Steez in the river than part with my Patriarch!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Kleyny - Don't worry mate.. A fisherman can be as prepared as he wants, can fish the right spots at the right time with the right bait but luck still plays a MAJOR part.

I understand this is fishing. BUT when your new to a particular species and the gurus are saying its hard yaka it doesn't give much confidence to a virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    I think we may need to get together over Christmas Neil (when these red fish finally come on)
    This could be the go Dids. I have all Xmas off and don't go back to work until around the 27 of Jan.
    I will be camping at mission point for 4 nights starting on the 3rd of Jan(if the weather sorts itself out). So if your up this way come and say Hi.

Gunna go for a recon/ first trip this weekend if the weather gods give me a few hrs on Sunday.

neil

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh and Jacks seems to be a good topic, my idea is that they dont shut down so much nor move to the lower salty parts of a estuary, just head deeper where the salty water is although through doing this they can take on the fresher water by adjusting to it, as fresh is going to sit up on top. I would think if this is the case the Jacks would leave there once territorial Snag or bank and settle in deeper nooks and crannies.... I still reckon they will come up to feed as fresh wouldnt bother them to much... As for finding a lure well because of the dirty state of the river its more of a pull the lure right into its face rather then a preditorial spot= smak= and run that we all love!!!

anyhow interesting to know what the more on to it Jack fishos reckon????

Nath
    Last edited by Tropicaltrout; 11-12-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I got nothin...........I think they just lay low for a while and slowly adjust

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Dids..im starting to think they dont actually go anywhere,but seeinf as us fishos are put off,bugger all get caught. i still think find the bait,find the fish
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

This fella came a'huntin' a day after a flood event we had down here...55cm of red devil. crazy thing is, the details of when it happend...2/7/2005. yup July. summer fish huh? winter flood waters where freakin icy and given the quantity of water that had been in the canal before receding I'd say it was pretty fresh too..

check out the tide mark from the flooding. water level in the pic is still half a meter higher than normal high tides. the house across the road is ripping out carpets ruined by water. This spot is where the water enters and leaves the canal via a pipe, there are grates over it to stop big biteys from chasin the mullet into the canal but also stops anything that grows big in there from leaving. I've heard stories of big trevally but also of big trevally getting chewed up in a long fight. the water in the creek was chocolate milk and flowing rapidly to sea but the canal was clear yet tanin stained as there is a sizable tea tree swamp to the west of it.
    I'd just bought the new rod'n'reel combo so we only went down to the canal to have a practise flick to see how it casts etc. 3 casts straight up the middle ripping it back fast, not really chasing a fish but had a 3" berkley pogy in for good weight, then one cast to the rock wall over my right shoulder...hop...pause...hop....pause..hop blammo. surprised the hell outta me. fish was way over next to the wall which normally is about 1 metre deep and has a bit of eel grass on the sandy bottom. this and one other jack I snared on light bream gear is all I have on my tally...to be honest I think my jackin' luck has all been used up so I've not really chased them since.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

gotta love land locked jacks

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

do you guys think jacks prefer a water where the current rips or slower water like in upper reaches

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I think current is very good, but the Jack will probably be sitting just out of the flow eg. in a back eddy behind the structure, watching what goes by and venturing out to strike.(if he can see past his F###in nose that is)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast