Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Jack fishos?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacks are still there, but as mentioned, find the concentrations of bait, good structure to ambush, some current and you will find the jacks

There are plenty of creeks up in northern qld where you find jacks living happily in the fresh water, crystal creek near townsville is one such system were they are found from the salt to the upper fresh water reaches terrorising the bait populations
    Last edited by happygilmour; 14-12-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Aaron, I think the problem is more the turbidity of the water cutting down vision to nil, time to use smelly dead baits. But I do think sudden changes in salt content slows them up too, but only for a short time.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    I think the problem is more the turbidity of the water cutting down vision to nil, time to use smelly dead baits. But I do think sudden changes in salt content slows them up too, but only for a short time.
    I don't think cutting vision down for the fish is a problem, that's why fish have lateral lines to detect movement and pulses.
    With the sudden influx of fresh from rain, runoff etc., comes a cooling of the water temp also.
    I reckon that this influx of fresh and the cooling impact it has, is a big factor in laying the fish low for a while.
    This is why it is better to fish the lower reaches, river mouths etc. at time of heavy rain as the water temp is more constant and the salinity is more stable than up stream.
    It also pushes the bait into these lower areas for the exact same reasons.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Best bet is to try some deeper holes near the mouths of the creeks and rivers. There will be a more consisant water temp and area for the fish to stay out of the current and ambush. Agree regarding water clarity, caught jacks in water you cant see 10cm in front of your lures, Laterial lines sort that out.
    At least you will will also encounter a few jews as well.

Go get em boys

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    It also pushes the bait into these lower areas for the exact same reasons.
    I think that's the main influence on where they'll be!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts boys, that's what I started this post for, gets the mind ticking.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Dids, it's been a very weird year this year for the jacks here in Noosa.

I'm talking from may 2010 to now.
    The majority of jacks caught in the noosa from may until now have been around the mouth, the woods and the sound. Why????

They seemed to have congregated around these areas in winter ready to go to sea, but alot have STAYED in these areas.
    Why????

I reckon more time needs to be spent fishing these lower reaches rather than heading upstream to the mangroves etc.

It has been a wet spring, and now looks like it will be a very wet summer. Bait was pushed out of the upper reaches months ago. Sure, there's bait up the top, but nothing like there is in the lower reaches.I'll be fishing for jacks this summer from Makepeace Island to the mouth. I reckon this is where you'll find the most fish and certainly the biggest fish.
    Cycles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's what it comes down to.
    Wether it's temp cycles, rain cycles, water quality cycles, bicycles (ha, just jokin'), breeding cycles, overall climatic cycles.
    If we could work it out there'd be no more fish to catch, they'd all be caught.

My thoughts only, but you now know my Jack plans for the summer.

Jeff.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for starting it Dids, im enjoying the read!
    Ben..

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    The majority of jacks caught in the noosa from may until now have been around the mouth, the woods and the sound. Why????

They seemed to have congregated around these areas in winter ready to go to sea, but alot have STAYED in these areas.
    Why????

I
    Maybe they knew what was coming weather wise????? Sort of like the ants moving to higher ground thing.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea...i think you are on the money Dids...judging from the few we have got..Hopefully with a bit of lateral thinking a few red ones will hit the mat over xmas..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast