Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snodger got a salty barra or 2 or 3

No I aint kidding. I aint taking halucinagens. It really did happen.
    Drove out to shute harbour yesterday in the rain and noticed a nice littlew tight creekline which I thought looked very fishy. Yesterday I had a few bumps there and one hookup which I saw to be a barra of around 600 or so. Figured when the rain stopped today I would go back and have a crack with some smaller lures.
    First cast into the runnof and I was on to a nice little estuary cod which was released. Several casts later and bang bang bang. Interesting. A few more casts and i'm on. Went pretty good for a little fish of 610 and a lovely silver coloured barra was landed on a smith saruna.
    back he went and several casts later another much larger estuary cod which was returned. Changed over to a 60mm richos timber lure, and half hour later i'm on again. This was a much larger fish or at least it felt like it was. Had a struggle keeping it away from the rocks and mangroves in such a tight area, but I finaly landed another little barra of 720.
    Well I figured that I had better do the right thing and go back to the cabin and get Cheryl so she could have some fun. By the time we got back there was 4 people fishing the creek where I was earlier so we had a crack around the corner until they left. One young bloke got a 68 jack with a slickie in the colour similar to the drop bear. Great colours.
    They left and I had Cheryl using my gun lure of the day the richo's and casting near the mangroves and letting it drift into the mangroves before retrieving. Wasnt long before she was onto another very nice estuary cod which went 640. She was stocked. First fish caught casting a lure. She had another hookup shortly after that and tried to drag a little barra up over a rock. Unfortunately it dropped off at the last minute. She hooked up a mangrove tree and I got it off. I cast it out to get the tight line off the spool and bugger me it was barra time again, another little 600 odd.
    The creek got pretty shallow so we went back around the corner to the spot we were before and within 10 minutes Cheryl pulled in a great flatty that almost swallowed the richo's whole. Nice fish over 700. Just after that Cheryl saw a very large barra free jump just off the mangrove line and the water was very nervous.
    Considering we had cars and busses passing within 5 feet of where we were fishing and it had rained off and on most of the time we have been here, we had a great time and this spot will be our goto spot in future when we dont feel like launching the boat.

All in all a great fun afternoon and only about 2 hours fishing all up. The downside.... trying to get the richo's lure back off Cheryl....
    Cheers
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great fishing Steve and Cheryl

3Macks

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a very productive little session!

Good to hear that you are getting onto some nice fish, even with all of
    the rain up here at the moment.........

Cheers,
    Roo.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

funny thing Roo is that I worked here for 6 months 20 years ago and never thought to fish that creek hey... go figure.
    I do reckon that all the hard work at Mondy is paying off for both of us tho as our technique has really improved from a couple of years ago.
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice little cod session with some barra bycatch Steve.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post
    funny thing Roo is that I worked here for 6 months 20 years ago and never thought to fish that creek hey... go figure.
    I do reckon that all the hard work at Mondy is paying off for both of us tho as our technique has really improved from a couple of years ago.

Nice work Steve... I think I know the creek your talking about too. When we went out for a drive from Airlie in Aug...I saw a creek that you can fish from the bridge that I thought looked great!!

Well done making the best of a bad situation!!

Cheers Steve

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes mate I was targeting jacks and cod and the barra where a bonus.
    Pretty skinny out of the dams hey
    Nice colour tho
    Finally got one

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Stevo. no rain at all on the horizon at the moment so we may get out around the islands tomorrow. Congrats on the promo mate.
    Finally got one

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Snodger! All the work you've been putting in was bound to pay dividends sooner or later. No substitute for hard work mate, well done.

Doc.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

It is pissing down here mate. Not a chance of fishing at all.
    You have done well and deserve every fish you get.
    Red

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Red@redmandesigns.com.au

FishLife Magazine - best mag around
    Red@fishlife.tv

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast