Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caloundra Barra..

Hi Everyone,
    Spent the weekend up at Caloundra and managed to pull a little barra from a spot near pelican waters. Hit a rapala lure in the glass ghost colour. I had been jamming the lure around all afternoon hoping for a jack. Just prior to hooking the barra had manged to get an awesome visual of at jack shadow my lure and give it a bump. No hook up, but the disappointment faded quickly with what was about to unfold.. I know it is not totally random to get the odd barra here and there down this way these days but this is where the story takes a twist..... in the hour after catching this little fella manged to get another half dozen knocks that felt like barra hits to me. After word got around about the capture one of the locals came down for a yarn and he was standing to next to me. He said that last year somebody had pulled a big girl from the centre of the creek only about 150 yards away.. Just after he said that I got another big hit followed by a big swirl on the surface.. The bloke, in his 70's straight away said "looks like there could be a couple more down there yet" and it was certainly looking that way to me as well..

Managed to hook another one briefly, small dance on the surface for 2 seconds, which felt like 1 hour, that I would estimate to be in the 50 - 60's.... I know the adrenaline was pumping but it appears that for whatever reason small school holding. Just up stream is a fresh water weir that must have something to do with them sitting just down stream..I was pretty stoked that I manged to pull a barra down town caloundra. Even more so knowing how many barra less I have had up north at times..

As you can imagine pretty pumped to head back up, but it will not be for another couple of weeks yet... Hoping to nail a jack on a lure up there...

Tight lines everyone

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images