Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boyne big girls, storms and bear traps

We headed off at 6am Saturday and got to Benaraby around 1pm. Had a good trip but the rain on the way up was a little ominous.
    Our daughter came out from Glady to visit for a while and I got the gear hooked up and ready just in time for a nasty storm full of lightning and heavy rain to hit. Called my weather forecaster Shane for an update and it sounded promising for around 3pm.

The rain slowed a bit so we decided to head up to pikes crossing to see what was happening there. There were a few people casting downstream of the causeway so seeing it was only drizzling at the time we threw the jackets on and tried casting upstream for half an hour. Not much happening, but the place looked very likely upstream where the boats and yaks were drifting around.

Made the call to head back to the bridge and arrived there around 4pm and found a way down to the river off the beaten track. A couple of black pigs made Cheryl nervous as we walked past them in 100mm deep water, but I said they wont mind us walking in their water so we kept going. Came across Mike and Mal Leyland amongst the head high grass, but apart from that an uneventful walk down to the river.

Cast around the place for a while and found a nice deep hole which we concentrated on for the 2 hours we fished. Great little spot away from the noisy crowds just over from us. It was like party central over there . Threw our plastics around for half an hour, then Cheryl moved back up the bank a hundred meters or so. Just as she got there I got hammered about 10 feet out from the bank and she ran like a demon toward the middle (the fish not Cheryl). Had her on for about a minute when she came outta the water twice. I tried keeping the pressure on but failed, and it took me a split second to realise I had better move quick to dodge the jig head coming back at me at a rate of knots. Bugger. But it was my first decent hook up in over a year on a big one so it was sorta a bitter sweet moment. Of course Cheryl didn't see any of it and neither did anyone on the 2 boats just out from us. Cant believe 7 people where looking the other direction for a whole minute and didn't hear any splashing when she breached twice .

Anyhow I waved Cheryl to come over to where I was and I told her about my hook up. Well she said no witness soooooooo. Anyhow we kept going til dark and Jason Wilheim (spelling) put a fella onto a nice barra that gave them some curry. Cheryl said are we going yet? I said 2 more casts. I paused the plastic on the way back in from my supposed last cast and said to Cheryl "I reckon I will get one on this cast" No crap. I had no sooner got the words outta my mouth and I got monstered again. This time the fish stayed down and she was heavy. I tried to slow her down and ping. Gill raked. I burst into an ancient dialect which cannot be written here. On inspection it looked like my 40lb leader had been attacked by a cheese grater. Well rigged up again and cast for half an hour and called it a night.

Cheryl was nervous about the walk back so I took the lead and said just stay behind me you should be ok. Pretty uneventful until just before the bridge I stepped into a long forgotten bear trap (post hole). My left leg went down so far that I was sitting on my right leg. Woulda made a fortune on funniest home vids. Holy crap it hurt. First words outta my mouth...."how are the rods". Always thinking ahead. I extracted my leg from the trap and inspected the rods. All good nothing broken. Well at least not on the rods. My foot and ankle were killing me. I put some weight on it and couldn't hold myself up and started to worry that I may have done myself some serious injury. In the end I couldn't send Cheryl back alone, so I took a few small steps until it didn't feel so bad any more. Kept this up all the way up the hill back through the grass forest and water and finally made it back to the car some 30 minutes later.

Had a look when I got to the motel and no bruising or swelling but it still ached like a B. Slept on it and still crook today but I manage to hobble around ok.

Had a quick flick with the fly rod this morning on the easy access side of the river for no hits. Got a message from Trev asking if we were up yet and thought maybe he came home early and is going out for a flick. Called him back and the darn optus network dropped right out for over an hour. So we had a quick fish and off. On the way home I couldnt resist stopping at a part of Mondy near the Bruce and flicked a hollow belly around for half an hour. No joy, but saw a few boils in the little bay. Nice looking spot to launch a yak.

Had a good trip home and resting up from a very quick dash to the Boyne.

I cant thank Trev enough for his advise and help. Very decent of you to share those tips with us mate, and thanks for thinking of us this morning. If I get a chance I will be back for more. Great spot that's for sure and it was great to get a couple of very good hook ups.

Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post

CHoly crap it hurt. First words outta my mouth...."how are the rods". Always thinking ahead. I extracted my leg from the trap and inspected the rods.

Steve
    I can see that.. lol
    love it! no unleaded this time?????
    Oh what ya doing next weekend? We could make a trip up in laser the amazer lol
    Ben..

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Steve, thanks for sharing, sorry you didn't put one on the bank but that's the way it goes.

Those old post holes, or pop holes as we used to call them down home are often caused by cattle or the like breaking through into a rabbit burrow below and are the usual case of broken legs to horses or cattle, you were lucky mate could have been a lot worse, maybe a Taipan burrow LOL.

Cheers,
    John.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UndersizeBreamKing View Post
    I can see that.. lol
    love it! no unleaded this time?????
    Oh what ya doing next weekend? We could make a trip up in laser the amazer lol
    Nah going to Matts Sunday and would still have the ute then. Also gotta clean it for handing it back. Gonna miss it hey Less than a tank of juice to get to Gladdy.
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch - I feel your pain on all accounts

Btw - you know this does not add to your pastry account

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on ya Stevo for do'in the miles. Bad luck on those hook ups and the leg.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nagg View Post
    Ouch - I feel your pain on all accounts

Btw - you know this does not add to your pastry account

Chris
    No mate thats a Mondy account only
    Finally got one

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

It was all worth it for the hook ups Dave
    Finally got one

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Big thumbs up for the effort Steve and Cheryl!! Bugger about the foot
    Homeless, jobless and living out of a car..........bring on the good life

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good effort Steve. Shame none come up for a pic. but at least you didnt end up with a broken leg!!!

Cheers Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast