Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishin the goldy land based

Hi fella's.

Cheryl and I headed off to the goldy about 2pm just to do something different. The plan was a couple of hours fishing the outgoing tide at Tallebudgera creek. Cheryl was using worm and stripped squid and I would be flicking around with my 2-4kg rod 2000 abu reel and 4lb crystal fireline with a 10lb leader.

We stopped in at Charltons at redbank and I picked up a couple of soft shelled cicada's and Cheryls bait. Those cicadas look the goods hey.

Well we arrived at a nice bank on the southern side east of the highway around 5 and I set Cheryl up with my abu bass rod (2-4kg), baited the hook and picked it up to hand to her. Imagine my surprise when my 2 piece bass rod was suddenly a 3 piece . The tip had broken under the join of the second runner. Bummer I love that rod. Luckily something in my head had talked me into taking Cheryls shorter bass rod and after redoing the rig she was settled into her chair and while I was tying my rig she was on. She pulled in a nice very healthy looking little, and I mean little bream. Well we were on the board anyhow.

I started flicking the new 3b scum dog in pink and worked my way down the bank which had a nice 1m drop off with oyster encrusted rocks. I found the dog had very little action tho but kept changing my retrieves and ended up trying everything with the short twitch seeming to give it the best action. I had been casting at some fallen timber at one end of the bank and had paused the lure about 2m from me and wham!!! I got it in and was surprised to see a fish (unidentified) of about 45mm had engulfed the rear treble . Well at least they work hey. Also tried an atomic paddletail unweighted which had a nice action when twitched.

Ended up throwing a couple of small shallow divers along the rock wall for no result. But in the process managed to throw my leader loosing a BigW elcheapo lure. I have researched leader knots for 4lb fireline now and found I should be using an improved albright not the standard one

We headed up to southport and got some fish and chips and had a drive around looking at the lights and a few fishing spots I know and decided to head home around 10pm.

Not a fair dinkum fishing trip, but an enjoyable break from sitting at home watching telly. We both had a great time.

Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve - next time if you want some yabbies you can get a few in front of the Southport Tourist Park. You should find a few whiting there on a good day too.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have had a crack at some yabbies Pete but we were running short on time with the tides. even then got there too late as Cheryl had to work til 1pm. Its a great spot and I will be back there with a yak for sure
    Finally got one

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Steve. Next week will be looking better with the tides and I'm aiming to give it another go LB.
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Snodge,

To really get the most out of the scum dogs you need to fish really light.
    1-3kg rod with a really light tip.

My 2-4kg I feel is just to heavy when I have tried to use it in the past and I dont bother with it anymore.

1-3kg rod and 6lb leader as a max will see the lures walk well.

Pete

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pete. I need a new light rod now so I will get a 1-3 and downsize the leader. What knot do you use for the leader mate?
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi steve good little report got the info by message at 11pm thx mate lol my wife said who.s that at this hour lol

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    Hi steve good little report got the info by message at 11pm thx mate lol my wife said who.s that at this hour lol
    Tell her its your personal stalker Shano LOL
    Finally got one