Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont count the chickens to soon, the square hookers are warming up and just waiting for these fish to be purged, gona be very tasty.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

wonder what it will do to the Boyne River croc population??
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    wonder what it will do to the Boyne River croc population??
    Crocs..... What Crocs ?
    "For some people in our society, retirement is a tragedy. It's the end of their being productive and contributing something. We need productivity from everyone who is capable of contributing. Fishing is my vehicle, and I plan to keep going as long as I'm physically able."

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking there would have been a fair number of barra that have already dispersed north & south & across to Curtis Island ....... within a couple of days people were catching barra toward the mouth of the Boyne ( even though it was closed season) ....... so no doubt plenty would have moved on .

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

keep the toes inside that skeet Trev.....

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

You would have to think things like shark populations would rise too. Likewise, what will happen to the bottom of the food chain. Maybe the extra pressure will disperse the glut of Barra sooner than we think. It would be interesting to hear from marine biologist for an educated point of view. I mean, is there any precident to this sudden population boom, even of different species, to suggest what may develope. And as I wrote in another thread on this subject, does any data support short term closure and/ or restricted bag limits for the system and surrounding area to allow for breeding to take place. The flip side of course is that these fish originated from a stocked impoundment, and therefore should have little to no restrictions, at the most that of every other wild Barra.
    Then there's the free for all that is the most likely outcome. Rec fishers, on the whole, will stick to bag limits and clock up NT catch and release figures. Pro's will take as much as legally possible, with every right, flood the market, drop the prices and possibly drive some pro's out of business. Far fetched maybe, but feasible. In the end, at the moment we have an awesome, possibly one off fishery to enjoy and despite the pressure to come I'm sure a number of fish will survive to breed. Numbers that weren't there last year which has to be a good thing.

Cheers,
    Dusty

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Im scratching my head as to why all these smart hard to catch dam fish have suddenly become suicidal - pure numbers in a small loacality or is that salt water some sort of appetite enhancer - even though they have ridden the big slippery dip and entered a totally foreign world to the fish?
    Have a look at their fresh water bretheren left behind, fish caught Vs man hours spent.....
    Thinkin its the salt

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

And the tide Brian...and the tide..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunger Brian, hunger is the key. Now they have to compete for a meal with many other predators and they are no longer top of the food chain.

Not only is a meal harder to get in the salt, but you have to work harder to get one...see how lean the barra being caught are. Two months ago they would all have been big fat things...

Welcome to the Boyne Barra biggest loser...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

didnt take much to stir em up Chew, tempermental little divas they are

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast